lame mare- working?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by speedjumper101, Jul 20, 2012.

1. speedjumper101

speedjumper101 Full Member

A mare i ride and am taking for exams has been going lame because she has artheritis but after several minutes of riding(when shes lame) shes fine- its it something that will get worse quickly- or is she ok to ride to still do higher level riding exams and not just w/t/c in a lesson/ pleasure riding (the exam includes an examiner watching u warmup, do a dressage test and jumping a course(who i'd be taking someone else for) and a stable mangement & written part- the only part that the examiner isn't there is for written)

2. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member

Does she get stiff when stalled? How long and how often does she get sore? How long does it take her to warm-up out of it?

What is being done to manage the arthritis? (Joint supplements, Adequan, injections, etc?)

Any complementary therapies, ie magnetics, Back on Track wraps, massage, etc?

3. speedjumper101

speedjumper101 Full Member

not usually- shes outside all day know unless its rainy but she didnt seem bad in the winter
    depending on the day it can take 5- 20/30 minutes- she is getting some supplements- im not sure if theyre for her energy/ fitness or for her artheritis- no complementary therapies.
    sometimes it her near and off side and sometimes its only one side. she isn't doing the higher level lesson anymore and shes not juming anymore except for a small jump not and then when they cant use one of the other horses because theyve already gone 2 times that day.
    (i dont own her- im a working student at an eventing barn where i ride and am worried about her as she often comes in limping or very stiff)