Lame horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by TheWolf, Mar 4, 2018.

1. TheWolf

TheWolf Registered

Recently my horse got a small cut on his fetlock from an unknown cause. Little to no bleeding, doesn’t look deep, got wound spray put on it.
    Anyway, he has been bobbing his head a little more when trotting, but looks perfectly fine when walking. However, I don’t know if he is really lame. The only signs I have seen are him bobbing his head when trotting.
    I did lunge and rode before I really noticed him doing this, but I don’t know if he’s lame or hurting.
    What should I do? Is it okay to ride him or not?

Thank you.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, he got the cut from hitting something.. so he probably is sore. I'd let him be for a week to ten days and check him then. If he's showing any lameness signs, call your vet obviously.

3. TheWolf

TheWolf Registered

Thanks I’ll do just that!

4. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Head bobbing == lameness.
    Don't ride your horse, give some time off and do what you need to do to make sure it doesn't get infected.
    If not better meaning resolved in a few days call the vet.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

If he's bobbing his head in the trot, he's lame.

Maybe from the cut, maybe from something else.

The cut may be due to interference (him hitting his fetlock with a hoof, due to needing a visit from the farrier, or to an incorrect trim, conformation, etc).

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If he's bobbing his head...he ain't doin' it to convince you to send him to Hollywood to become an actor~!! ;)
    Get the Vet out. It could be a number of different things and he needs a thorough exam by the Vet to find out what it is.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep, I glided over the post and didn't see the head bobbing. Definitely have a vet out as he's lame.

8. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Lameness is easiest to spot in trot. If it's a front leg, the horse will raise it's head as the affected leg hits the ground to take weight off the injured leg. The lameness may not be as obvious in walk.

What does the rest of the leg look like? Does it feel hot? Is there any puffiness or swelling? Does the horse flinch when you squeeze the affected area? Sometimes tiny cuts can actually be punctures, which can be very serious and need to be acted on quickly.