1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Knotty manes & tails!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by aloyo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. aloyo

aloyo Registered

What are your favourite products, tips & tricks to detangle manes and tails?

Personally, I really like Absorbine's Show Sheen gel. Works really well however I worry that using it too often will dry out the hair.

My method for working through manes and tails is to pick through with my fingers, from bottom to top. Then work small sections with a wide tooth comb, again bottom to top. And once in awhile, but not often, I'll follow those steps with a brush through.

2. raen015

raen015 Senior Member

I really like Cowboy Magic products. They all work really well.

I personally use the Cowboy Magic SuperBodyShine on my horse's body and mane and tail. Detangles with no issues.
    I also use L'Oreal Detanger for kids, the no tears kind (in Pear scent!), which works deadly too!

I used a human paddle brush forever, but then I bought the Oster one! I also have a Tail Tamer brush, which works surprisingly well.

If her tail is in a state (which doesn't happen often), I'll spray some detangler, and then use the Tail Tamer brush to get most of the tangles out. Then I'll use my Oster brush to finish. Normally, I just go right to the Oster brush, because it's never that tangled.

I use Argan oil in her tail now (I chopped off her mane, 40 inches long to 4 inches long!!!:eek:), and it keeps it SO shiny, and free of tangles, and soft. I use a loonie size amount, and rub my hands together and finger it through her tail (after I've brushed it!).

3. aloyo

aloyo Registered

I've heard Cowboy Magic is great but I've never tried it... will have to consider it next time I see it on sale.

Love the idea of the L'Oreal detangler :)

I don't use product on their bodies, just manes and tails. Kinda funny... the other day someone was holding my horse for me and petting him and she said "Voodoo is SO soft! What do you use on him?" I just smiled and said and said "Nothing. But we have excellent grass here and he gets some BOSS and Hoffmans"

WOW 40" to 4"!! :O

4. Squeaksmom

Squeaksmom Senior Member

I use Mane n Tail detangler to work the knots out, and keep them conditioned with Healthy Haircare to help prevent more knots forming. I use a Tail Tamer brush VERY carefully, from the ends up. It's hard to describe, but after spraying with the detangler I basically twist the tail like a rope (not super tight of course), and leave a couple of inches untwisted at the bottom. I carefully detangle those couple of inches, and then untwist a couple more inches and repeat. Keep doing this all the way to the dock. The twist prevents the hair being pulled from the dock, and I find the brush teeth slip through without breaking hair (which is a problem I had a lot when using a comb). I basically do the same thing with the mane, but without the twisting. I keep on top of it at least once a week, and the mane and tail stay looking nice even on my pastured horses. Another tip is to use lots of fly spray in the summer -- the more they're switching hard at bugs the more broken and tangled the tail is likely to get.

5. shabbypony

shabbypony Senior Member+

Cowboy Magic detangler forever and ever, and always. Amen.

6. kowgirl_17

kowgirl_17 Full Member

I'm also a fan of the Cowboy Magic :) I have also been known to use WD-40; the best I've found when a tail is like a cockle burr covered baseball bat! :D

7. DressageHorse

DressageHorse Senior Member

What a good tip about the twisting! I never would have thought of it but I will do it from now on!

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If one is looking to keep the mane as long as possible - stay away from anything with silicone in it, as it will dry out the hair shaft & cause it to become brittle & break. This includes show sheen, cowboy magic, Mane & Tail Detangler, and pretty much every detangling product that works well & is on the market today.

Because of this & I have a 1/2 Andy - I keep his tail up 24/7. 2 different wants (a summer way & a winter way) and his mane stays in pasture braids. Makes my life easier & he can keep his glory lol

2 people like this.
  9. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

Am I the only one who uses a wide detangling comb? Lots of people use brushes...

I have coarse hair with drier tendencies and would never dream of running a brush through it! I learned the hard way after breaking my own hair off over the years!

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ nope - I don't ever use a brush.....hair brush or body brush. A wide tooth come with a handle is all I use. I won't use a hair pick though cause I hate them & find them useless! lol