Knee Bulge - w/Pictures

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tank, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

My guess without being able to feel it or see her walk is the bursa which is the sack that holds the fluid to cushion the joint is enlarged either due to injury or infection. If its an enlarged bursa this could be caused by a strain, chip or a fracture.

Fever?
    Is walking normally?
    Does it feel soft or hard?
    any breaks In the skin?

If she was mine I would load her in a trainer and take her to the closest vet hospital to get it x-rayed.

ginster and Arem like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's probably fluid from the horse falling hard on that knee, or hitting it really hard against something.

Until you can get theVet out, go on youtube and look for a video on how to make a Spider bandage.
    Buy some poltice and put a half inch or so thick layer of poltice over the entire knee, wrap saran wrap over that, then the spider bandage.
    You also MUST put quilts and standing wraps on BOTH front legs as well. Rub the legs with Absorbine first. The poltice will slip down without wraps beneath, and both front legs need support.

3. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You don't know what it is, No way to tell, without having a Vet Xray and ultrasound it.

I have seen MUCH worse from a horse falling while at speed and, with time and polticing, it went back to normal with no permanent damage.

Blood and fluid always pools at the lowesr point of the injury. This is a new injury, no telling what is damaged and how bad.

5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Could be lots of different things. I would have to see it and feel it and I would definitely have a vet out for a joint swelling like that. And, as soon as possible, because it could be an infection in the joint, or caused by a puncture wound which will need abx and medical intervention. No telling what exactly that is. Has horse had temperature taken ? Could horse have fallen on knee, is there blood, heat etc ? I agree with @manesntails but be careful with the clay poultice. My mare doesn't do well with it, so I would use Epsom salts and liquid furacin instead and wrap like she said. Get the mare off of crappy wet muddy ground and get her on soft, even footing. Make sure she is eating, and drinking clean water. Bute or banamine...go get it from the vet if you dont have it. Manage the horse so there isn't a colic issue from discomfort. Or hoof issue from weighting the other hoof. Monitor that and give the supporting leg and hoof help if needed...please tell the vet this is something that needs seen.
    Read this.

Carpus (Knee) Swollen - Horse Side Vet Guide

manesntails likes this.
  6. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

It would be useful to know:
    1. Is the horse weight-bearing on the injured leg? If not, how severe is the lameness?
    2. Is there a pain response when you palpate the swollen area?
    3. Is the swollen area hot to the touch?
    4. Is the horse eating and drinking normally?
    5. Does the horse have a normal temperature?
    6. Does the horse show signs of distress and discomfort such as shallow or laboured breathing, sweating, higher than normal heart rate, reluctance to move, loss of appetite?
    Bear in mind it is impossible to diagnose this definitively, but we can suggest ways to make the horse more comfortable while you wait for the vet. As a starting point I would suggest the following:
    1. Separate the horse from the main herd, and put her in a small yard or stable with a companion horse close by to keep her calm.
    2. Cold hose the injured leg twice daily for 20mins to reduce inflammation. If you have ice boots then I would be icing the legs twice a day for 10mins at a time on top of cold hosing for 3 days. Cold therapy is awesome, don't underestimate how effective it can be at managing an injury.
    3. Apply a supportive bandage/ stable wrap to the uninjured leg. The uninjured leg will often swell up as a result of the horse taking more weight on the uninjured leg to compensate for their injury. If you start to notice the uninjured leg swelling then start cold hosing it as well. Cold water is your friend!
    4. If the horse is showing signs of severe distress, it may be appropriate to administer bute to make the horse comfortable. If you decide to do this, make sure the horse's movement is restricted (i.e. pop her in a stable or a small yard) so she doesn't do further damage to the leg. Bear in mind that giving bute may make it more difficult for the vet to diagnose what's wrong, but if the horse is in a lot of pain then you have to do the right thing by the horse.
    5. If there are no open wounds, you can apply a poultice to reduce swelling and inflammation. Animal Lintex is very effective at reducing swelling and drawing out heat. Tuffrock poultice is another good product.
    Best of luck. Hope your mare recovers.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@tank Can you stall her until the vet comes out?

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ouch. You've got a lot of advice, so I'm just going to throw jingles their way. Best of luck-!!

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@tank - any update on this?
    I hope the weather cleared up enough for the vet to come?