Knee Bulge - w/Pictures

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tank, Feb 28, 2018.

1. tank

tank Registered

I don't know what to do. The weather is bad and the vet won't be able to come up here for at least another week. A few days ago, I noticed this bulge on my girl's knee. Can anyone help me out please? This horse saved my life.

IMG_1544.jpg IMG_1546.jpg IMG_1546-close.jpg IMG_1547.jpg

Thank you ahead of time.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

GONE ROPING, Arem and tank like this.
  3. tank

tank Registered

Thank you sooooo much. I did post this one other place, but only one other place. Just because of the urgency. I haven't heard back from anyone yet. You're the first. Thank you so much.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

It could be a lot of different things.

Unfortunately, a picture can't convey some really helpful information. There is no substitute for hands on and feeling it - hard, soft, tight, movable or not, just on the surface on the skin, or deeper, etc. The best thing is to have a vet get a look at it, xray it, restrict the horse's activity so it can heal, if it is something that can be healed.

Is it hot? Warm? Painful?

Sometimes a big knee like this is due to a kick that just injures the skin and the tissues over the bone, and it's all fluid and tissues that can heal with time without a complicated treatment, and will reduce with time and appropriate treatment.

With this sort of simple injury, some fluid may remain under the skin, but isn't a serious issue.

Sometimes a kick actually fractures a knee and is really serious.

Sometimes it's not due to a kick at all, but is a fracture due to a fall or excessive strain on the leg. That can be complicated and difficult to heal.

So the key really is to have a vet figure out what's going on in there and giving you a treatment plan. An xray would help to determine what the extent of the injury is.

It's unfortunate that a vet can't see the horse right away.

You could cold hose the leg for 20 minutes twice a day, and it would be good if you could restrict the horse's movements, not ride/work her, etc. Very light exercise(such as a 10 minute hand walk twice a day) helps when an injury is mild, but is a risk when you're not yet sure how much internal damage there is.

Sometimes when a horse is injured, they need to take it easy, but don't want to stay in their stall or barn when the other horses go out to pasture. In most places, you can string up a little square of hot wire or tape, and have the horse near enough to the other horses that she doesn't get restless, but still prevented from running around.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    tank likes this.
  5. tank

tank Registered

Thank you so much. I am going to go and check on her now and feel it. She is hopping around.

We are up on a wild horse ranch with many others. She's been up here for 12 years. She is currently 15 years old.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Is the horse bearing weight on the leg? Does the joint feel hot to the touch (does she allow you to touch it?)? How lame is she?
    Is she moving on her own? Eating normal?

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Is she holding that foot up off the ground and trying to walk on 3 legs, or is she trying to avoid the knee, and pretty much bearing weight on that leg?

If she is hopping around holding that foot up off the ground, even if she is bearing some weight on that leg and just unable or reluctant to bend that knee, you could have a really serious issue on your hands. If she is not bearing weight on that leg, I'd try to find someone to haul her to the nearest big clinic or university equine clinic.

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Well, if I walked out and my horse’s knee looked like that, if probably fall over. And, once I picked myself up off the ground, I’d call my vet. Because holy ****!

I have no idea what it might be, but if the horse is at all sore or lame especially, i’d highly recommend calling a vet as soon as you possibly can.

XxLiveToRidexX likes this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I understood the OP that the vet has been called but wkn't makebit out until the next week due to the weather/ground conditions..

lucky_pine and Arem like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Oh. Opps! My bad.
    “Read the OP, Arem!” :rofl:

Until the vet can get out, I would ditto cold hosing the knee.

ginster likes this.