1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Kind of Weird Topic - Mare's Vulva - *Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by rileyboy, May 25, 2009.

1. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Phew! I'm happy to hear that it could be normal for Lily's vulva to look like this.

To answer the next question, Lily would be a minimum of 8.5 months, as that is how long I've owned her. I bought her from the breeder, and the 2 stallions (AQHA stallion and 2 yr old Andalusian stud colt) were on the property with her, her entire life, so the breeding could have taken place anytime. (any time in the 2.5 months before I bought her or she would have foaled already)

:D

:D

2. RachelLynn

RachelLynn Full Member

part of the vulva's job is to form a tight seal to keep bacteria out of the repro tract. during heat and prior to foaling the vulva begins to soften and elongate. but each mare's conformation is different. for example, normally, the straight slope of the vulva prevents manure from getting into the repro tract. on an older mare gravity starts to be an enemy and cause everything to suck in which makes the vulva begin to slope more causing bacteria to get in and make a difficult breeding environment. what i mean to say is that age changes the look as well as whether she's in heat, pregnant or close to foaling. also, mares follow their own patterns and may or may not show the same signs as her neighbor.