Kind of Weird Topic - Mare's Vulva - *Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by rileyboy, May 25, 2009.

1. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Sorry for the graphic topic... :eek:

Since this whole thing with Lily has been going on, I've been on all kinds of breeding websites.

I've seen lots of people post pictures of their mare's vulva, and some just seem "odd" to me. I know every mare is different...

Examples:

Mare for a different website: (this mare was in foal, I believe just a few weeks from giving birth)

[​IMG]

Lily - May 2009

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2009

2. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

I think Lily's looks elongated, smooth, and slightly puffy if that makes sense.

3. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Is that bad? Could that be a sign that she is in foal? (did you see my threads in breeding?)

4. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

No, yes, and yes again. :D I personally think she is pregnant.

A funny (or not) story... I went to check some horses after a previous trimmer lamed them up twice in a row. I asked her when her mare was due. She was only three years old, the lady told me she wasn't bred, I told her I'd bet money on it. She had a bag forming, but then I lifted her tail and I was super duper sure. Her vulva was so long and relaxed that there wasn't a single wrinkle in it. We moved her into a stall and gave her some grain and the belly started moving around!! The lady asked me how long, I said 4 weeks, 6 weeks max. She foaled a day after 4 weeks! Seems there had been a wild herd of horses run through her place and she was gone for a day or two, she just couldn't remember when it was. The mare was fat around the middle, but ribby too, up to date on worming, etc.

Lily gets palpated tomorrow, right?

5. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Holy geez! Good job on calling that one out. It's awesome that, thanks to you, the owner had a few weeks to prepare!

I hope so! I left a message at the vets office yesterday, so I'm hoping they'll call me back tomorrow and make a same-day appointment. Last time I called, for the blood draw/vaccs, I called Monday morning, and the vet was at my barn at 1pm that day.

Their office is 10 minutes from my barn.

6. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

I don't think baby would have survived in the muddy pen the mare was in AND she was in with two geldings and a pony mule. Before I left, the mare had her own dry paddock, and a three sided stall that could be closed if need be. She foaled without a hitch.

This woman was only about a year into horses and is older (about 60), the mare was one of the first mustangs she adopted and you aren't supposed to breed them, Oops! Very cool place, she lives off the grid, has her own lake, and the horses were running on her 80+ acres of land.

All in all, a very happy ending.

7. Jenje!

Jenje! Senior Member+

Lily's vulva looks completely normal to me. It does look just a bit swollen in places, but really... if anything the other mare's vulva looks deformed.

That's not to say I don't think she's pregnant... but if she is only 8.5 months along (didn't I see that in another thread?) I think it's a bit early for you to be seeing a lot of relaxation and elongation of the vulva. JMO of course. Could your potential breeding dates be wrong?

8. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

Agreed. FWIW my filly's vulva looks exactly the same and there's no way she's pregnant.

9. Jenje!

Jenje! Senior Member+

All of our mares's do too, and none of them are pregnant. :)

10. notanumber

notanumber Senior Member

Sorry just had to say . . . it was kinda cute that you put 'graphic pics' in the title. :p