Kids taken away in KY from off the grid family

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BluemoonOKy, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

This is wrong. On the news here this morning, off the grid family had 10 kids taken away. These peopleARENT abusing their kids, but raising them how they want. The government is out of control. Just because she didn't passively hand over her kids, she got criminal charges. This is just downright ridiculous. To me, off the grid on a farm iwith no water or electricity (it wasn't long ago that no electricity and no running water was the norm) is better than a 300 lb kid sitting around on his popo playing video games eating junk all day.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/curre...-off-grid-family-because-theyre-homeschooled/

cecelia Duncan likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'd really have to see this written as CNN story, since they're the least biased of the National News. This is from a bias source and we don't know if she was taking the kids yearly to get tested at grade level or what? We really don't know what the Legal cause was for the kids to be taken.

Meanwhile if they were turned in by neighbors who turned them in just to be spiteful, that's a cryin' shame.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

http://www.wave3.com/story/29019229/off-grid-couple-faces-hearing-to-regain-custody-of-10-children
    the thing is it was on the local news and they played the audio and the police could not tell her why they were removing the kids...she asks multiple times and no good answer given. It is wrong. Yes, it was because a neighbor thought the conditions were bad. I saw pics on the news and although I am too spoiled to live without a/c, running water, etc. there is zero wrong with living like that and raising a family if that is what you want to do. It would be one thing if the kids were being a used or mistreated, but they weren't. If the police go to take someone's kid, they'd better be able to say why. That is a problem for me.

4. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Off-grid is one thing, but it does sound as though they haven't really planned this life very well (at all).

For example:

If you want to PUMP your own water out of your well with the hand pump, that's great. Ditto for using your generator to power the pump to your own well. But to depend upon other people who do have electricity to supply all of your drinking water and then to allegedly get...unpleasant...when denied is too much.

I'm not a huge fan of CPS, but they are mandated to come and take a look, speak with the family, when someone reports their concerns. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by being rude and bellicose when you have the option of letting them speak their piece, tell them you disagree and then get started with the legal proceedings against CPS.

I don't know what housing codes they're supposed to be meeting in that county and how long they have to comply. I'm not crazy about tarps in the dead of winter. I would have hoped they would have invested in making a high-quality yurt or yurts, at the very least.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

^^if that occurred I can see why CPS took the kids away.

7 people like this.
  6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Not to mention the water they need for their animals. That is a lot of largesse to expect from everyone else in the community and for more than a year, too.

equicrzy, Remali and manesntails like this.
  7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Yeah, I would understand their trepidation. I think Mr. Naugler was served but I'm not certain. Hopefully BluemoonOKy has that information.

cecelia Duncan likes this.
  8. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

There are some crazy stories of CPS taking kids away for bizarre reasons. My state is one of the worst (if not the worst?) for taking kids away, going through the lengthy court process and then having the courts force CPS to give the kids back. Which means, they never should have been taken in the first place. I'm not so sure this is one of those stories bizarre stories.

cecelia Duncan and CoffeeBean like this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Incidents like this have always made me wonder... how come it's okay for Amish/Mennonite/fundamentalist Mormons to have a bazillion kids and raise them off the grid? Are they subject to the same standards? Like could CPS go take away kids from an Amish family?

Always seemed weird to me that those kids are basically born into religious cults and have no say in the matter, but if a 'normal' person tries to raise kids off the grid they're considered criminal.

Not commenting on this case in particular since the whole thing seems dodgy to me, but just wondering... lol

zett, cecelia Duncan and lucky_pine like this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

WXBC FM had a summary on their page.

[h=1]Parents To Appear In Court[/h]

(05/09/15)- Court hearings are scheduled for next week after a confrontation involving authorities and a Breckinridge County couple which led to their children being placed in foster care. A complaint led authorities to the residence of Joe and Nicole Naugler on Wednesday (05/06) to serve a summons against Joe Naugler on a charge of menacing a neighbor, which also led to a referral to the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.

Audio from the incident recorded by Nicole Naugler and posted on-line depicts her arguing with Sheriff Todd Pate; Naugler saying authorities had no right come on to the property or to talk with her children. Pate is heard telling Naugler she faced losing custody and felony charges if they didn't co-operate with the Cabinet.

A traffic stop moments later led to more argument over custody of the children, ending with Naugler being charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after alleging on the audio police were "kidnapping" (her words) two of her children. Naugler, who is pregnant, was taken to the County Detention Center and later released on bail. The couple's ten children have been placed in foster care. A custody hearing has been reportedly set for Monday (05/12) and arraignments for Joe and Nicole Naugler are scheduled for Tuesday (05/13) in Breckinridge District Court.

On a website supporting the family, a spokesman suggested the Nauglers are being targeted for an "off the grid" lifestyle and home-schooling of their children. Neither state authorities or Sheriff Pate could comment publicly on the case due to the on-going investigation and the fact the juveniles are involved.

Mr. Naugler was charged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.