Kids and meds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So I keep getting kicked off the site* and may not be able to respond to any replies, but REALLY need some help.
    My neices are visiting for the summer, and 2 have come down with C Diff. I'm not actually sure what it is, but you cure it by taking antibiotics 4 times a day.
    Well, we are on day 4, and the 5yo is now all but impossible to dose. She is feeling well enough to put up one heck of a fight, will not be bribed, punished, or tricked into taking the meds. She is normally sweet tempered and obedient, but she will shriek, kick, punch, bite, etc when it is med time. Her stomach is off, so no food reward is appealing, and no other reward has made a difference. We tried to hide it in food, now she refuses to eat anything but plain crackers. Right now, my mother holds her down, I pry her moth open, and my sister shoves the medicine in, and then I get the thankless task of KEEPING it in her mouth until she swallows.

She is on the verge of being hospitalized. We are absolutely desperate.

* @Admin @ChestersMomma @Jim_in_PA can someone email me and help me out with why I can't stay logged in?

2. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

@Admin can you please look into this to see why she keeps getting logged out?

Did you try clearing your browser cache? What browser?

____

Honestly I would just sit her down when you are not giving her antibiotics and talk to her rationally. Ask her how she feels? Does she want to get better? Or would she like to have to live at the hospital for a while? Sometimes not using "kiddie" methods like bribery or trickery and just heading straight for rational works with kids. Explain to her what this illness is doing to her on the inside in terms she'd understand and how the pills will destroy the sickness. I would also explain to her that cdiff is HIGHLY contagious and if she doesn't get better, she could make everyone else sick or potentially get other people sick at the hospital. Have you talked to her ped? Maybe they can give her a talk.

My only other thought would be to make it a game. Make a board where she can see how many pills are left until she is done. You could use post it notes that she pulls off and on the other side of each one is written a prize. You could even have her make the list of prizes? I know that's still bribery but it gives her some ownership and a visual to the "end".

heartland, Arem, ginster and 3 others like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Are they liquid?
    When my autistic son was little he got recurrent ear infections and once he got strong enough started to fight like a wild cat. What I was told to do is to restrain him by having one person get on their knees with their legs over his thighs and place hands on forearms using enough pressure in the holders sit and arms to keep him down and the other held up the head slightly and slowly gave the meds via oral syringe. We used a similar process for shots and IV's in the Hospital and Drs office....the alternative is a straight jacket...( which we did have to use for dental appointments) .... The first few times were traumatic ( more so for me than him) and then pretty soon he just accepted that it was going to happen and it was easier to not fight it.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

What abx are they giving her ? My grandfather was a doctor and when I was a kid if I got sick, my grandmother would crush up abx between two spoons (one on too of the other) and pour orange juice on it and I would take it. See if the Dr can give her an IM shot. Poor kid. C diff is a bacterial infection in the colon/intestines. She needs pre and pro biotic. Banana and yogurt if you can get her to eat it. What about sprite or ginger ale ? Is she vomiting ?

ginster and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

She should be on a BRAT diet, unfortunately. Blandest of bland. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, crackers, etc.

The crushed up idea might work if you can get her to eat rice or applesauce... maybe crush all four for the day and try to get her to eat 6 times so the taste is more spread out and it's easier on her digestion?

ginster likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

If it's liquid penicillin then it tastes really foul.

I had more success with crushing pills and mixing it with a bit of sugar and water.
    When Brandon was getting chemo at 2yrs old he had 25 to 30 pills per day. The above was the only thing that worked for me.

C Difficil is very common where I am from in Montreal Quebec. Almost like the common cold. I remember a lot of people having it and I was only 11 when I left. Pre internet so I wasn't really aware of much, but I remember that, lol.

7. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

C diff is tough. Had it. Worst gut issue of my life, and mine was a "milder" version caused by antibiotics for a lung infection. I would call the pharmacy and see if there is a 'pediatric' version of the antibiotic available, perhaps syrup, if what you are currently wrestling with is capsules/tablets. Might be easier to slip that into juice.

8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I had this back in April and it was the worst experience of my life as far as illness. Poor kiddo. No advice but I'm thinking of all of you!

Sometimes holding them down like you are is the safest option.

9. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member

My sister's 1 year old had to be on a really vile tasting medicine for a while recently, and would scream, fight, cry, and throw up when my sister gave it to her. The doctor suggested mixing it with coffee creamer, and it worked a charm. Obviously that only works with a liquid, so if it's tablets you're having to give, that won't help you.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Sometimes it helps if you tell them they have to take it or they will wind up in the hospital and there, they will give the medicine in injections.

The description of how to hold the child was really good too.

It also helps to put sugar in with the medicine. Lots and lots of sugar. Powdered jello - the kind with sugar in it - is another flavor coverer, as is frozen orange juice. Grapefruit juice on the other hand damages a lot of medicines.So that's out.

Our very elderly doctor who made house calls could get medicine down any kid. He was just really quick. He'd start talking about how when we were well we could have a nice party with cake, and then in went the medicine, with e quick chop to the throat and the child gulped reflexively.

He also carried candy and if we would swallow the medicine ourselves, he gave us candy. But if not, he'd have it down that kid right quick and the parents would be standing there with their jaws on the floor.

Once my brother was really fighting him like a tiger and doc grabbed ahold of his upper lip and pinched it, just like a twitch on a horse, lol. My brother froze stock still, lol.

Another thing to keep in mind....we were punished - harshly - for not swallowing medication. Yes. We got spanked. Many parents today don't spank but it is still possible to punish a child for refusing medication.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018