Kicking her stomach

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Beautifulsould, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Beautifulsould

Beautifulsould Full Member

Hey guys, I got a quick question. I have noticed lately that my mare Destiny often kicks at her stomach with her left hind leg. She does this all the time, nothing seems to be bothering her. I touch her stomach and apply pressure and she doesn't seem to be irratated at all. People around the barn tell me it could be flies, but its a lot cooler in Cincy (Ohio) now and the flies have pretty much dissapeered, so my question is the fact that Destiny kicking her stomach does that mean she is in pain? Should I get it checked out?

P.S.- When I touch her stomach she seems to have some sort of either scar tissuse or trapped fluid under her skin, her stomach is a litte bumpy, I don't know if that changes anything.

2. horseychic_001

horseychic_001 Senior Member

If I were you, I'd get it checked out

3. POMDEROSA

POMDEROSA Senior Member

My horse was doing that same thing tonight with her left leg and it was flies. I had my husband look because he was beside her. I thought all the flies were gone too but they arn't. These weren't biting her just bothering her.

4. horseychic_001

horseychic_001 Senior Member

Maybe ask a vet to check? Get a professional's opinion?

5. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Senior Member+

My guess would be flies. I'm also from Ohio, and even though it is quite cool there are a few flies around still. It's normal for a horse's stomach to be slightly bumpy. The trapped fluid could be from where she has caught herself with her hoof a little. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Deb

Deb Senior Member+

My horse does that too. And her tummy is a bit bumpy as well. If that is the only symptom, I think she is probably just fine.

7. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

That sounds like possibly hematoma. Fluid and/or blood under the skin due to a blow to the area. If she has been kicking at herself, she could have easily caused this. Stick your finger into the center of the pouch, if an indent remains afterwards that tells you it is a hematoma. No treatment required for that, leave it be and it will eventually be re-absorbed into her body. Gravity will move down to the lowest point and it may grow in size before it disappears, don't be alarmed by that. No hosing required.

If you suspect she is kicking at flies/gnats then apply a good coating of fly spray a couple of times / day.

8. MaggieSue

MaggieSue Senior Member+

My friends horse did this, had the vet out (useless one), horse still did it, the horse went down about 2 days later and died. I'd get it checked out...now

9. reiner girl

reiner girl Senior Member+

in my opinion if it were my horse i would probably get the vet to come and have a look! just incase! good luck!

10. osage

osage Senior Member+

never found out what it was???:(