Kicking a boarder out? :/

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Caoimhe, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

If you were making it so I could own a horse, lessening my boarding by allowing me to work, and generally covering my butt, I would work as hard as I could to make sure you were more than happy with my existence. That's what any hard working, appreciative, person would do. Imagine what that would be like every time you look at her sloppy self floppin' around your barn. It'll get easier to kick her out.

This chick can go kick rocks. She's taking advantage of a good person.

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I would give the boarder three months notice. I too live in a northern climate and can appreciate how difficult it may be to find a new boarding situation. Three months puts her into March. Still winter up the OPs way, but towards the end of winter.

It also will reflect positively on the OP to give the boarder fair warning. Booting someone out in February (who should be booted out) isn't going to reflect well on the OP unfortunately.

Small horse community and all.

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

By the way, this isn't a boarder, this is a parasite.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

If it were me, she would have gone immediately following the chicken incident. Someone who compromises the health and wellbeing of my animals would have no business on my property.

A lot of good advice given already.
    Time for her to go. Past time.

5. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

This is the best advice. Honestly, look at it this way: even if hypothetically (I don't know your exact situation) you aren't a "real barn", and even if you have just one single boarder, you are still providing a service for a price. You are a business entity and thus need to treat these situations as such. She is your client, not your friend. You are not entitled to give her anything other than what she pays for, and it seems she isn't even meeting that. So, cut her loose. She will survive.

It is due time that this woman learned that she cannot take advantage of people. Like horses, many people will try to see what they can get away with and act accordingly and by catering to her without consequences you are enabling her behavior at the sake of your own well-being. Frankly, she's become spoiled and needs a "come to Jesus" meeting... :whistle::whistle:

I have "boarders", too - not in the horsey sense, but I am a landlord. I own and rent out a house, and I also rent out out my basement from time to time. I've learned to have standards for my roommates/tenants and I will settle for nothing less than what those expectations are (especially when it comes to roommates, because I have to actually live with them). My last roommate was really overbearing, demanding, and really was just a headache to deal with. So when his lease was up, I didn't renew and had no problems finding a new roommate. No loss to me.

Nothing wrong with doing what's best for you. It's not selfish and you aren't heartless. You are looking out for number one: you. I think it's a very common misconception taught to us by society that you need to be selfless at all times; you should never, ever risk your own happiness and sanity for anyone else, and that even includes friends and family. You come first.

Do what's best for you, and your poor chickens!

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Get a hard hearted mediator. If she knows she can manipulate you, then she will. Keep out of it and have someone else tell her to leave.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. starrunner

starrunner Senior Member

I would probably write up a letter stating the following:

Due to the price of hay and a re-evaluation of costs, I have realized I need to increase the price of board.

X lbs of hay=$x daily
    Labor=$5 daily (or whatever). Pay yourself at least $10/hr. Include the cost to pick and clean that she's supposed to.
    Grain (if given)=$cost daily
    Facility cost=$x/daily

Therefore daily board will be increased to X amount/daily and X/month.

She'll probably have a kitten and realize that there's no way she can afford board. Perfect, then she can leave and hopefully realize what a blood sucking leach she's been.

VermilionStrife and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

^^. This is what it's become. No more stomach aches about this - get rid of the parasite in the easiest way that will cause you no problems-!!

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

There's no need to include the calculations in a board raise note...it's being raised "because of increased costs" is more than enough and anything in detail about cost to the business should be confidential business information.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I think so too. Any statement of costs invariably winds up causing all sorts of argument and debate about how so and so down the road gets their hay for nothing and it's awesome, you can get bags of shavings from the local door factory and pick out the nails and bits of black walnut, blah blah blah.

LOL. One gal was told that board was going up and said simply, "Well of course it is. You waste so much bedding. I'd take everything you remove from the stalls and take it home and put it in my stalls". And so on.

all4him likes this.