Keto Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by equinitis, Jan 10, 2019.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I could research this but am too lazy to do so.

Does anyone have any information on how a keto type diet affects things like cholesterol? How is fat related to cholesterol? If your body is burning fat because of a lack of carbs, does that mean the cholesterol associated with animal fat is not building up in your body?

I'm not dieting, just so you know, and have no interest in keto or low carb stuff anymore. I tried the keto thing but could not maintain it long term so chose to use portion control and eat what I want. lol

JKetsche likes this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

One of my Jiu Jitsu teammates did “Keto” for a while, although he was probably consuming way too many calories from the sound of it, and his cholesterol went way out of whack.

One of my other teammates did it for a while but quit. I’m not sure why but I think he said he felt good on it.

Another teammate is now doing keto and is loosing weight and feeling great. Not sure of the effect on his cholesterol

3. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

A bit of general stuff on Cholesterol as a whole.

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

@CessBee, I'll have to wait until I leave work to see what you posted. I can't do youtube at work..

I also felt good when I was doing Keto. My brother and SIL have been off and on Keto, Adkins, etc. for several years and always say they fell good and loose lots of weight but they never stay on it so they have the yoyo thing going on. My SIL just started nutra system so I guess she decided against Keto.

My nephew and his wife as well as my oldest daughter and her husband have just started keto........again. They all lost weight on it before but did not stay with it. I can't help but think if it's not a lifestyle change, it is temporary and in general not good for a person's health.

zomer and Arem like this.
  5. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

7. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

Ive been Keto or 18 months. Never had cholesterol issues before or after so cant help sorry.

8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

That does help actually. Have you had your cholesterol tested since being on Keto? What about before? Some folks don't get things like that tested regularly. The company I work for offers a free health fair annually so I get my cholesterol tested annually and am aware of changes, not that there have been any changes in the last three years. I was not on Keto long enough for it to have an impact anyway.

9. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I do keto and love it. I've gone on and off, but kick myself when I go back on for ever going off, considering how much better I feel doing it. It plain makes sense to me, though I'll preface by saying there is little significant difference in weight loss between low fat and low carb diet, and calories do still count, so people should do what they can stick to and eat healthy portions with.

Keto. The basis of keto is that you keep net carbs low enough that you never have glycogen stores, kicking you into ketosis, and forcing you to make ATP (or your energy source) from fat stores, or the least efficient option of gluconeogenesis, making ATP from protein. Glycogen attracts water which is why you have water weight with full glycogen stores, or when on a high carb diet (excluding those who are intensely exercising to deplete these stores daily). I feel less bloat, more energy thanks to not having insulin spikes throughout the day from carb consumption, and lose weight fairly easily on keto. I track macros and calories, and once I'm acclimated, I eat far fewer calories while staying satisfied and craving free largely due to the satiety of protein and long lasting fullness effects of fat. I don't go out of my way to add fat... Yesterday I ate about 100g fat, 28g carbs (23g net), and 75g protein, totaling about 1400 calories. I also do not restrict calories. That is what I'm content with. I was satisfied and had no problem not eating until 1:30 this afternoon after that day yesterday.

This video explains cholesterol well though is lengthy.

In short, LDL transports fat through the blood, so may increase on keto once you are fat adapted and burning fat for fuel. This is not bad, it's thetjob of cholesterol. The insulin spikes and insulin resistance will decrease though, reducing inflammation, which is one of the key risk factors for VD and poor "heart health." We also do not retain much cholesterol from what we are ingesting, and cholesterol in the bloodstream is not strongly correlated to cholesterol plaques in artery walls (which are what lead to clots, MI/Heart attack, etc). More evidence continues coming out supporting the uselessness of checking cholesterol levels via blood sample. Here's an article on all of that, written by Mark Sisson who is a big wig in the keto world.
    The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know - Part 1 | Mark's Daily Apple

The group, Keto Reset, is a fantastic resource on FB for everything keto.

NaeNae and Arem like this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Thank you all for this information! You saved me a bunch of digging and sorting.
    Off to read.

Arem and DocsLglyBlonde like this.