Kentucky Kill Pen, tell me what you know.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by chy3792, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

^^ what you said. I wouldn't like not being able to check them out, a ppe etc. I just don't like the risk associated with it. If they were extremely cheap that'd mitigate the risk but I don't think it was extremely cheap, I'm not certain. Is it an amount you can afford to lose, would be how I'd consider it.

2. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

I think you are confused. The OP was asking a simple question about how it works. We had a discussion about how it works (or doesn't work). We are for sure not slinging any snot about being emotional about the whole kill pen buying thing.

@Alsosusieq2 I totally agree. If you can afford to spend the money and have it not work out and then afford to support the critter when it does not work out then go for it.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh, I'm not confused. Nice little passive aggressive comment though. I'm hip to how this whole slinging snot thing works on here by now. And how when called out on it, then that person is "confused" or doesn't understand. :rolleyes:
    You're confused if you think I just fell off the turnip truck. The question the op asked was about "tell me what you know " and no one so far has any personal knowledge/ experience of this group and "how it works". So then the discussion went into the usual kill pen/ rescue drama, including being called a scam. Per the usual hgs/mhf way.

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Now I'm confused where did that suddenly come from? I didn't see anything out of line in the discussion, and the thing with people having their say, keeps bumping the thread so maybe someone with actual knowledge of that operation will weigh in. Why the heck have you gone postal here?

5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

1. What makes you think pony is gaited?
    2. What makes you think pony is broke to ride?
    3. What makes you think pony is kid safe; touchy about back legs at least, not a great sign.
    4. How small is your rider: pony looks quite small?
    5. Pony looks 'stubby' and with rather poor movement to me.
    6. Pony appears lame...

If you want the pony at that price, assuming the worst, then go ahead. Otherwise, keep looking.

Are there no auctions near you? You could do better buying where you could at least see and touch the pony rather than using a 20 second rescue video...

Most times ponies go back to the auction and sell to someone else for $50-$100.

tlwidener and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

To clarify, I posted the thread in hopes that someone on the forum was familiar with this group and how they worked, we have several members from KY (like yourself) and I thought there was a slim chance this took place down the road from someone and they could enlighten me. I am not buying a pony I know nothing about, sight unseen for that amount of money, too much risk. I never suggested them changing their terms, I also did not just fall off the turnip truck. I is my understanding that this group does not own the horses they are saving, I simply wondered where this dude was headed next so that I might could go look at him personally, if you ask them he's going to slaughter tomorrow, doubtful. Why post if you don't have anything to contribute but negativity?

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Maybe you could enlist the aid of a knowledgeable person to go look at him for you? If I were close enough, I would do it in a heart beat! I would not care about his current situation or even what the agenda of the group is. If he turned out to be what you need and the price is right.........
    Anyone close enough to check it out?

8. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

I was hoping that someone may have been local and knew a little more about this place than they shared with the public. It was my understanding that they did not allow anyone on the premises to see the horses unfortunately. I did pass on this little guy but I think I did find our next pony. SHE is a little chestnut sabino named EARL. She is not gaited but she is the level of kid broke I will be comfortable letting my small child ride. She doesn't have much go to her, I'm not certain she has any go at all but that is ok. At this point in our equine journey, go is not what we need.

9. happygolucky

happygolucky Senior Member

S

So tell me where do all the unwanted donkeys, ponies/small horses go to if not to slaughter? To their 'forever' homes?

10. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

Some. Some stay in the auction system, some go into rescue/sanctuaries. Again, all you have to do is pick up a phone.

happygolucky likes this.