Kentucky Kill Pen, tell me what you know.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by chy3792, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Resale and don't get your rescue bone activated. Purchase at the price you want or walk away. Kind of smarmy tactics from the seller imo..

2. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

This. You can pick up the phone and call the plants in Mexico or Canada either one and they will tell you the same thing. They want at least a 600lb. animals and there are no shortage of 1000lb ones. A KB has no need to lose money on something not desirable to haul.

I for one have always found it amusing that the anti's get on the band wagon of saving donkeys, mini's, ponies from slaughter yet not one single "undercover" video of the legitimate slaughter plants show any of these being offloaded or processed. Yet they believe their own BS.

Varisha likes this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I almost never hear on claiming that they go to plants to be processed, I generally hear that they will a) go to zoos for the big cats or b) be abandoned.
    Where do the unwanted minis and donkeys go?

4. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Exactly my point. What's frustrating is, I am legitimately interested in purchasing this pony. I have NO interest in playing at their rescue BS. There is no rescuing involved here. What sucks is that unless I play by their rules, I can't buy the horse. I'm supposed to buy it sight unseen with no guarantees for possibly more than its worth with no way to tell. That is enough to put me out. Which is a shame because from an honest seller I would drive to KY and check him out. I do wonder where he will end up, since we all know he isn't headed to become horse meat, any thoughts? He supposedly "ships" Thursday, to where we don't know.

Varisha likes this.
  5. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

I say make an offer you can live with. Leave it in their hands.

I agree, these games are ridiculous.

Varisha, mooselady and chy3792 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

From what I gather all they do is video the horses, then put them on their site. I am skeptical about ponies though as they're just not something of use to the shipper. He's cute.;)

chy3792 likes this.
  7. Trubandloki

This is a guess, and only a guess....

Ships on Thursday is their drama line which will likely get someone to buy at their price.
    If, for some weird reason, their drama does not work and the pony is not snagged up by some bleeding heart it is likely the network that does these things will list the pony somewhere else (on some other 'going to ship' type group) or ship him to another auction or such.

Varisha and chy3792 like this.
  8. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

I would just take the situation and forget the kill buyer/rescue aspect.

The pony has an owner who wants X amount for him. If you want the pony for the (his) asking price you buy the pony, if you do not, then pass.

Don't get hung up on what he paid it for or what it is worth except what it is worth to you. It's impossible to know when a nice pony or horse will be sent to auction, maybe look at it as just a middle man who helped you find a nice pony.

I've bought some horses for more than they were worth to get them out of a bad situation but I don't regret any of them.

equinitis and chy3792 like this.
  9. Trubandloki

The glitch in this theory is what the OP mentioned above.
    If this was a typical pony the OP would be able to drive and look at it and put her hands on it and see what she really thought of the pony before committing any money to the pony.
    The 'it is going on the truck' ads require you to buy unseen. No option for pre-purchase testing, let alone a pre-purchase vet exam.

10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Then the op doesn't have to buy from them.
    Sometimes ya'll kill me with this rescue kill pen drama. It's x price and these are the terms. Don't like it? Don't buy from them. So very simple. They aren't going change the terms. Especially not because some horse forum people don't like it. You just have to weigh your risk with it and see if it's something you're willing to take a chance on.

Sam C., Whoa and D_BaldStockings like this.