Kentucky Kill Pen, tell me what you know.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by chy3792, Mar 17, 2017.

1. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Here is a link to their FB page Kentucky Kill Pen Horses

The reason I ask is a friend showed me a horse on here that matches the description of what I am looking for. Specifically a gaited pony. I told her I wasn't interested in funding someone's horse trading business who threatens the public with slaughter. She insists they are legit, I am not convinced even slightly. Tell me what you know.

For reference, here is the pony in question, Gaited Pony- 9812 (Fat little wad looks like a real "rescue" doesn't he) I like the little guy and if he was everything I needed and healthy, its a steal. But there is no way to know that, and IF he has health problems or is untrained, I'll have paid too much money for a money pit that I'll never be able to resell. UGH. Gaited ponies are not as common as I would prefer. They only other one I have found is a 4yo green broke for $1500, which is a little more than I want to spend, especially on a green broke pony I can't ride. I can buy a dead broke16h 10yo for that. (n) I did find a cute quarter pony that could fit the bill, I told the hubs it could work, its not like WE have to ride it. I do REALLY want something she can eventually show SSHBEA so I need a gait and at least a quarter sized spot to make that happen.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

If the pony is all that you want, and at a great price, then why not? I know nothing about them, and share your distaste of the pulling at heart strings with the sales pitch. At the same time, if you don't buy, then does pony get shipped anyway?

reicheru and chy3792 like this.
  3. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

Some pony will get shipped anyway.... It is not like the kill buyer is going to ship an almost empty trailer.

Sarai, chy3792 and mooselady like this.
  4. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

It could be all that I want. But how can you know that without A.) seeing it in person, more pictures, videos ect and B.0 without a PPE.

I also wonder about the whole shipping away thing. I don't have that kind of time to arrange pickup or the cash floating around in the next 6 days. If he is indeed in danger I could make it happen. I just hate the whole institution of these things. In a world where the slaughter system wasn't so shady and kill buyers didn't hide behind curtains I could (theoretically) buy a much larger fatter horse for a lot less money (I see them everyday) and we could trade and both be happier with our new purchase lol.

5. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

:rofl:
    I love how your brain works!

mooselady likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

See there are still some right thinking people about!

GONE ROPING and Trubandloki like this.
  7. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

I was afraid I would get thrown to the wolves for such a comment :whistle: obviously not afraid enough not to say it though :rolleyes:. Good to know I am among like minded individuals.

8. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Pony in question, I think my previous link was useless. I don't like how uneasy he is about his back feet. He is cute as a button and the perfect size. I am so hesitant to send money on a horse only seeing this though :no: And we all know good and well that when he went through the auction he probably only sold for <$100 and here I will have to pay over $500 before shipping to get him sight unseen. GRRR

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He is as cute as a cute thing. I'm not worried about the way he reacted to his back legs being touched, that looks like an easy fix. What worries me more is he doesn't look entirely sound, I would want to see that one in person I think and have hands on.....

BUT very very tempting I can see that.

10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

For what it's worth, ponies are rarely shipped to the plants. The reason why is they are flat out just not big enough. This reeks of scam all over it. This lil guy was picked up for resale, pure and simple.

Varisha, equinitis, chy3792 and 2 others like this.