Kentucky Derby 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

There's never been a TC winner that instantly retired. I think it would be doing the horse a massive disservice. Sure, there's risk of injury if they keep him running but he could also die in a pasture accident on his first week of retirement.

I will be shocked if he doesn't run at least twice more this year, likely a summer prep and then the Classic. It's good for the sport and will only mean more money at the end of the day.

ginster, RelaxMax and Arem like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

In that case, I apologize. I was wrong.
    Still don't believe the word lackluster applies, and that word grinds my gears, but you weren't talking about the Preakness, that point I concede.

Alsosusieq2, RelaxMax and Arem like this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

All I know is that I cant wait to add that Justify Makers Mark Special Edition to my collection.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'd think they'd be fools to consider racing him further. Risk vs gain. They don't need to prove him any further imo and nothing like a broken leg to ruin your Sunday. It's not as if these people are not wealthy.

It may not be up to them, I don't know the investment contract, but they may stipulate what will be done. They invested a total of sixty million from what I heard. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

manesntails likes this.
  5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

It just generally isn't done though. Horses aren't yoinked mid-season when sound just because they accomplished something. No, we haven't had a ton of TC winners but we have had a ton of successful racers. The Breeder's Cup is a massive draw, it's the World Series of horse racing.

I might not have been a racing trainer IRL but I have been following racing (not just the Triple Crown, US racing in general) closely every year for the past 21 years. This horse's racing career has only lasted FOUR MONTHS. It would be terrible for the sport to treat him like he's made of glass and yoink him before the season ends.

lukesmom, Sam C., Pony123 and 5 others like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I just read they intend to keep racing him.

Not what I'd do. You have a billion dollar stud and you risk racing him further.. You just won the Triple Crown for goodness sakes.

My opinion, although just like everyone else, I'd love to see him run. I will have ulcers though for that I'm sure.

I'd be satisfied watching him run in his paddock personally. :D

manesntails likes this.
  7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I dont disagree with your posts here and I do hope he finishes out the season, I was only saying I can see the other pov and I wouldn't hold a grudge if they yoinked him.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

I think if I remember right the only Triple winner who came close to retirement immediately after the Belmont was War Admiral. But that was because he sustained a pretty nasty hoof injury

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.