Kentucky Derby 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

AP ran the Belmont about 2 seconds faster than Justify, but I bet Justify could have picked up the speed if he needed to.
    Too bad we'll never see them face each other-- that would be the race of a lifetime.

I wonder what the plan is for Justify now. Quit while he's ahead, or keep racing?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I was actually surprised when American Pharaoh continued to race after winning the Crown!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Where did I say he ran a lackluster Preakness? Show me where? Because I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I *did* say that *California Chrome* and *Big Brown* ran lackluster *Belmonts*

Read for comprehension. ;)

4. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I think it would be a huge shame to retire him now. IMO he should at least finish out his 3 y/o season with a run at the Classic. Retiring him after a crown would be shortchanging his career. I get the temptation due to the risk of injury, but I think it would cheapen his victory somehow.

5. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I hope he keeps racing to the Classic. I'm so glad I got to watch the race instead of listen to it. I listened to the whole undercard on the radio and there is just something different about watching the horses run. I was a little nervous going in but as soon as they rounded the turn for home, I knew he had it. He just has this big flowing stride when he's relaxed and he was barely let out for most of the race. Gronk ran a good race as well, major props to him! It's amazing how there have been 2 triple crown winners in my first 3 years of following racing. Justify was the one I picked for the derby before his SA win and he really got me excited about racing after I had kind of lost interest last year after Chrome and Arrogate retired.

ginster likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Go look it up yourself~!!
    I'm not your Maid~!!
    You have a short memory. It was pisted ( oh looky, should've been “posted“ but the mind is a funny thing.) right after the Belmont, earlier in this thread, that Justify had a “lackluster race in the Preakness.

I already explained “ saving your horse“ for a tougher race ahead. Don't pretend you understand what you have no experience with.

You'd argue with Jesus Christ himself~!!

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's a huge GAMBLE not to.
    One freak accident and you just lost something worth more than all the purses, in the history of racing, combined.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Additionally, since it’s not exactly common for a horse to win the Triple Crown, there is nothing *wrong* with questioning a horse’s ability to do so. Many horses get through the Derby and the Preakness only to fail at Belmont.

There is no such thing as a sure thing in horse racing.

9. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

To answer whoever's question about his likely path, he will probably follow AP's footsteps and hit one or two 3 year old race this summer and follow with a bid in the classic.

No arrangements have been made yet for him to go to stud, though he will probably follow not race as a 4 year old.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I fixed it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.