Kentucky Derby 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Horses like Audible I hate. Mostly due to the fact they are running with horrible hoobes. In a video before derby day they even said they used hoof fillers on him to keep the shoes on. More care should be given with there hooves I do agree

ginster likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That link mentioned Big Brown, the 2008 (?) Kentucky Derby winner. He ran on an apparently ripped / badly injured heel bulb in one front that the reinforced with the mentioned plastic composite.
    He retired after just one year of racing. Who knows what he could have accomplished if he´d been given time to heal instead of being raced?
    I find this borderline abusive, tbh.
    But sadly, that way of thinking is rather widespread throughout different disciplines. Where money is made, the animals´well-being often takes a back seat, so to speak.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, no, they make much more money off retiring him to stud, plus, why race him further and risk injury? If she snaps a bone in his leg in a race, you just wasted a good horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

True but running him on a bodly injured heel bulb doesn´t point to caring for his health to much...
    I found that he was ultimately retired becuase of that injury.

5. manesntails

Eh, they might have wanted to put a few more races on him, but he is too valuable as a stud to make running him any longer more than a trifling issue.

And if Dr. Needles can't make the horse run sound, no biggie, he's better off scratched.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

True. Maintaining training at that level sure costs a pretty penny when he could earn so much as a stud in the same time.
    Generally though, it does make me wonder what the aim is with breeding tbs...it seems like they aren´t bred to last for more than one or two seasons at most. OTTBs come with their own set of maintenance issues - does this come from racing them so early, or did the quality go down over time?
    I am more familiar with the sport horses and I found that they keep getting introduced to the top Levels at a younger and younger age. 20 years ago, most horses were considered young if they entered the circuit at age 10. Now they they are 9. Some 8 yo.
    Did the quality get *that* much better that it takes less time training them or do they get started earlier than they did years ago?
    There is a Bundeschampionat for 3 yo after all....

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Video was on YouTube and talked specifically about this years derby c9ntenders. Wish I wasn' on mobile otherwise I would post, think it was blood horse who posted the video.

Still I had no idea about big brown which is a shame what he went through

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. manesntails

In my opinion, the all around conditioning is not sufficient to build supporting muscles, strong tendon and bone. They want them light and lean, thereby sacrificing strengthening exercises. Trotting them slow miles to build strong bone, muscle and tendon tissue is sacrificed. Soft ground and mostly forward motion at hand gallop doesn't build an all around strong and hearty animal.

9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

\

So, are they only focusing on building their wind? That seems wrong headed. Isn't building aerobic fitness the easy part with a horse? IME the hard part is building fitness with the tendons, muscles, and bones... which almost seems more important.

BUT... I am NOT a multi million dollar racehorse trainer :idea: I'm just a little ol' horse owner trying to show while keeping my horses sound.

GotaDunQH and ginster like this.
  10. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Reading all this makes me glad I worked in the NZ racing industry, with small team trainers. Focusing on soundness in their horses and keeping them happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.