Kentucky Derby 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, May 1, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Looks like I need to look up Life At Ten with Pelcher and what was going on then, sounds interesting.. Only thing negative I know about Baffert goes way way back.

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Pletcher the Plunger....that's what a bunch of my serious hardcore handicappers call him.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Good Magic is confirmed for the Preakness. It should make it more of a horse race than the puny field it had before.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Heard that yesterday too, that one gorgeous thoroughbred. It's always that way at the Derby, everyone wants the notoriety of saying their horse had ran in the Derby.

Pony123 likes this.
  5. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

What that poor horse needs is a truly good, balanced trim. Track farriers are some of the worst.

Circle C, ginster and manesntails like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

From that link:
    On May 10, Elliott Walden, President/CEO and Racing Manager of WinStar Farm, and a part-owner of Justify, said in a report compiled for Churchill Downs Communications by Kevin Kerstein, "He has dealt with a cracked heel off and on and that is typical of horses. The track was rough Saturday with all the rain. The first time we saw it (the heel) was when he came out for you guys (the media) Sunday. We had to figure out what it was and work on it.”

A) Cracked heels / mud fever/ scratches are common? Race horses don´t run around in muddy pastures all day, they might get trained on muddy tracks but I wold think that there are way to clean and dry those legs once the horse is back in it´s stable...

B) I wonder why did they not take him out to walk/trot him before presenting him to the media? Is that not commonly done with race horses? To check for injuries, twingy muscles?

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Because TB Trainers don't have grooms of the calibre we demand with STBs, nor do they demand much care by them.

A STB groom would've cleaned and packed the horse's feet with clay after he raced and if he had a quarter crack or a bruised heel, that would've been taken care of, treated, right then and there.

They do not even realize that they need to protect the horse's heels from getting scratches, if they're prone to them, by simply putting vaseline in them before they go out on the track.

They are stuck back in the 1800's when they had no good Vet care. They do what tradition taught them. Heck, all they normally do for injuries like splints, bows, and suspensories is turn the horse out and let NATURE heal it. They put little time or effort into learning more about treating injuries.

This is why I could not work with them. Their heads are up their nether regions as far as proper care for injuries goes. Heck, they don't even TRY to LEARN new things, they just do what has been traditionally done before.

They don't even hot shoe nor have shoes made to fit the horse's hoof, let alone trim the hoof properly. They have some farrier come to the barn and slap plates on. They think long toes are good because they help the horse dig into and get more grab and push in every stride. This is oldtimmey, backwoods thinking.

They learn this stuff from one another and think that because that's how it's always been done, that's how ya do it. That's why nobody knew the horse had an issue: nobody was REQUIRED to look~!!

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Yeah, the pics in that link show some pretty bad hooves.
    You´d think with horses of that caliber the all around care would be top notch...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

You would think, but sadly it's like that in the show world too. I've been in a million dollar trainers barn and seen some of the worse shoe jobs of my life. You would think if you're competing at that level with horses of that caliber you'd want them 100% taken care of. No wonder they have to start injecting them at 2.

Alsosusieq2, Arem, endurgirl and 2 others like this.