Kentucky Derby 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, May 1, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't know him personally, only worked with TBs for a short time and thought the trainers had too many superstitions and didn't have very knowledgable grooms, not very knowledgable on fixing feet or injuries either. Never had a STB lame from scratches but the TB barn I worked at had lots of that.

Put vaseline in the dang heels before you take the horse out to run and that keeps the scratches protected from dirt and bacteria, then they heal right up. My trainer was like :eek: “This horse's scratches never healed up before~!! What did you do?“

:faint:

Dummasses, most of them, but, they know how to condition their horses, the GOOD trainers do, that is. So, I know he's one of the good trainers. He can't help he's ignorant on feet and healing...they ALL, it seems, in the TBs , are ignorant on that.

Alsosusieq2 and Idrivetrotter like this.
  2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I actually love Baffert, too. He's one of my favorite trainers.

3. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Pletcher is another one I wouldn't spit on if he was on fire. I left the TBs and went to work on the STB track and was at Keeneland visiting friends during the fall meet when Pletcher was behind me at the track kitchen and he just casually asks me "Since you've been with the jugheads, what is in a milkshake?" I told Toddy I will pretend he didn't ask that and then, Uncle Mo gets the look of a horse who had way too many hot lunches and nearly died. Life At Ten was another one who got the Toddy Hot Lunch Special and she seized up hard. Look up the Life At Ten fiasco and grab the popcorn.

@manesntails is right, no STB would get scratches as we know how in the heck to rub a horse and to take care of them. I was in a few barns at Fair Grounds and was rare to see a bandage on a leg. TB grooms are not the caliber they used to be and that is why I love STB racing. Sure, we got our issues there, but at the end of the day, the horses are much better taken care of and now that people are losing their prejudice against the breed, aftercare is now a big priority. So adopt a OTSTB and help save a breed.

Believe me, that horse has a hoof freeze and possibly a block depending on how sore he is, so he will be at Pimlico. He will be kept blocked/numb until after the Belmont then he will get some time off to heal up and prep for the BC.

Alsosusieq2, GotaDunQH and ginster like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It’s a shame when it becomes about the money and the glory and not the well being of the the horses.

I hope he comes out of it at least relatively okay. It’s going to suck if he ends up with worse injury. Or even just fades and finishes poorly.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I never got anything but adulation when they heard I had groomed Stbs. I had offers to go to Calif with one guy and two offers to go to NY. The guy I worked for begged me to go back to Cherry Hill with him. I turned 'em all down.

I told hom: “You lost all my faith when I told ya that the grey wasn't eating the oats, therfore, he was getting no grain and you told me: “They all get the same feed; it's my “special mix“.

:faint:

Idrivetrotter and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Copper17

Copper17 Registered

Forget where I read it (think it was bloodhorse) that Mike Smith (justify jockey) has been suspended. One of the days the suspension falls on is preakness day. So that means new jockey if what o read is true

Pony123 likes this.
  7. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

It said he is still allowed to ride in designated races, which the Preakness falls under thank goodness

RelaxMax, Copper17 and manesntails like this.
  8. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Why was he suspended?

9. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

He rode a race where he won but the horse he rode was DQ'd for bumping another on the stretch.

10. Copper17

Copper17 Registered

Article I read said horse was disqualified but Smith was suspended instead. He' suspended for reckless riding from what iread.

That' good to here, change of jockey is not something you want in a big race like the preakness

Alsosusieq2 and Pony123 like this.