1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Keeping a mare from coming into heat

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Gizimomo86, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Naomie

Naomie Senior Member

Wow! i'd never heard of this! learn something new every day...

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Regumate.....works great, have used it on a couple of my mares.

3. Austinngirl

Austinngirl Senior Member+

ive hear Regumate works great. however, it is pricey..

i dont have personal expirience with the marble, but i knew one mare that had one in...

4. dshelatree

dshelatree Registered

Interesting as I had never heard of that.............my question is...........how does it come out? And what happens in 3 months...........does the mare expell it herself or what?

5. Cheryl D

Cheryl D Senior Member

My mare just returned to the way she was before. The marble doesn't ever get removed by the vet. I was told they rid them on their own. I knew the effectiveness was over when she started to cycle again. She ended up laming herself that Oct. (had marble implanted in June) and my aunt had her put down when I was away on business.

6. Cheryl D

Cheryl D Senior Member

My mare just returned to the way she was before. The marble doesn't ever get removed by the vet. I was told they rid them on their own. I knew the effectiveness was over when she started to cycle again. She ended up laming herself that Oct. (had marble implanted in June) and my aunt had her put down when I was away on business.
    Edited to add...
    I first was told about the marble by my BO at the time. She was a cow horse trainer and knew some barrel racing girls that used the marble during the time of year when they have a lot of competitions. Those girls didn't want their mares coming in heat...guess they thought they had a better chance of having the same horse everyday for awhile if they didn't.
    Had my horse not passed away, I would have spayed her. I learned from the marble experience just how hormonal she was and I wasn't going to breed her anyway. The Rx was going to be expensive over the long haul too.