Keeping a mare from coming into heat

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Gizimomo86, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Gizimomo86

Gizimomo86 Senior Member

I was told by a few friends (one of which is a vet assistant working on her internship to become a vet) That to keep a mare form going into heat, you can insert a glass marble into her uterus (while shes in heat so it goes through the cervix) That it will agitate the uterine wall enough that it will keep her from going into heat. What would be your idea's on this? If its harmless Im seriously looking into this option as I will never breed this mare, and will keep her from ever having to deal with coming into heat. Thanks :)

ETA: My friend was told by a vet about this option - but yes I will be consulting a vet before making a solid decision :)

2. JetBlack

JetBlack Full Member

I would call a vet on that... but i don't recommend it, personally i dont think there is anything you can do from keeping a mare from going into heat but you never know.

3. Sunrisepony

Sunrisepony Senior Member+

I know several friends over on the Gaits Of Gold board that have done this with their mares and swear by it. And have never had any problems either.

4. Gizimomo86

Gizimomo86 Senior Member

can you link me? Of course I will consult the vet :)

5. jasper45

jasper45 Senior Member

Yes iv heard about puting a glass marble into the uterus to keep them from coming into heat,iv also heard it doesnt work on every mare. My mare over the years has stoped coming into heat so much, only early spring then i really never see her show heat again.
    Thats is why i perfer geldings dont have to deal with in heat and marey attitudes but thats just me.You could also try regumate its a RX though so would have to get it from a vet its given orally iv heard this works to. Good luck jasper45

6. Gizimomo86

Gizimomo86 Senior Member

1) Shes only come into heat once, and that was last spring, and was housed and turned out near a stud, so of course, she is going to go into heat. But we both have since moved barns. The stud they have at the new barn only gets worked a few times a week, and while he walks past her, he isnt allowed to rub noses like the stud was at our other barn. So i doubt it will bring her into heat like the first one did

2) I was asked by my filly's dam's owner what I wanted before she was born, and I asked the mare for a minimal painted COLT. out popped this gorgeous minimal painted FILLY :rofl: Had it been a colt I would have loved to make him a gelding, and all would be fine, but the baby was prepaid, so I got indoor plumbing instead :rofl: somehow I feel like I got screwed in this deal...the mare was probably laughing at me....

I was just thinking of ways to help her out, why come into heat if she will never be bred.

7. jasper45

jasper45 Senior Member

Another option is spaying since you dont want to breed anyway,iam not sure if you can totally stop heat cycles.

8. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member+

9. Cheryl D

Cheryl D Senior Member

I had a quarter horse mare that had horrible mare attitude. She came in heat every 2-3 weeks and was real nasty to other horses. I consulted with my vet at the time and either could have gone Rx or marble. I chose marble and it was the best 3 months I ever had with her. It only lasts 3 months before the horse realizes she really isn't pregnant (marble forces a false pregnancy) and then it's game on again.

10. Gizimomo86

Gizimomo86 Senior Member

Thanks guys for the feed back! Cheryl - did your mare get super grouchy after taking it out?

I didnt think to search *facenpalm*