kaldblodstraver / Coldblood trotter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by susurruS, Apr 17, 2012.

1. susurruS

susurruS Full Member

Some may have seen my thread about my new horse, Vinni. And she is a coldblood. And a few of you wondered if I could say some more about this breed. And of course I can do that! I'll try and write so you guys will understand ;D I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes.

(click on the pictures to come to the source of the pictures.)

[​IMG]

Kaldblods and kaldblodstraver is not the same.
    Kaldblods I guess you can say is a draft horse. A Kaldblodstraver is a type of draft horse, a coldblooded horses, breed for harness racing.

[​IMG]

Kaldblods
    The coldblood is a term for a type of horse. We have warmblood, halfblood and fullblood. And then coldblood (draft horse).
    It's not about their bloodtemperature - All horses are warmblooded, in the sence of body heat. (The horse regulates the body temperature and blood himself. body temp. and blood will always be a higher temperature than the outside surroundings.)
    It's easy to see the difference between a coldblood and a warmblood. The coldblood is heavy built and hardy - alot of them are heavy draft horses.
    All three types of norwegian breeds are coldblooded. The norwegian fjord, Dølahorse (Dole Gudbransdal) and the Nordlandshorse.

[​IMG](1) [​IMG](2) [​IMG](3)
    (1) Norwegian fjord. (2)Dølahorse. (3)Nordlandshorse.

More know coldblooded horses are Clydesdale, shire and Percheron.
    But it's not just big horses, the shetlandpony is also a coldblood.

Coldbloods are also know for tolerating cold weather much better, 'cause they develop their winter coat much easier.

[​IMG]
    What you complainin' about? cold!? pft.

Kaldblodstraveren.
    -The coldblood trotter/Draft trotter.

The norwegian coldblood trotter is very populare here in Norway, and not just for trotting.
    In Vinni's papers it says "unknown breed", but she is a coldblood, most likley a coldblood trotter.

[​IMG]
    My horse, Vinni :D

The coldblood trotter origins from the norwegian Dølahorse. But to make them more fitt for harness racing, they were mixed with nobler horses.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Around the 1800th century they started to breed the Dølahorses in two different types.
    The ones that showed a high, easy and good trot, where mixed to improve the coldblood trotters.
    Now the coldblood trotter and Dølahorse is now two different breeds.
    They also mixed the trotters with some swedish trotter blood.

In 2003 it was 10 000 - 12 000 coldblooded trotters.

Exterior of the coldblood trotter.

It's hight is at the minimum of 148cm (14,2HH). Wide but short face, with small, pointy ears.
    Broad and deep chest, the topline straight and even, with alot of muscles.
    It comes in all kinds of colours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member

Wow! Thanks! What an interesting breed. We need some here in the United States. :) Thanks for sharing.

3. Simply

Simply Senior Member

Gorgeous!! Those are some beautiful horses! Thank you for sharing, and congrats again on getting Vinni :)

4. Manca

Manca Senior Member

They look awesome! I want! :D

5. susurruS

susurruS Full Member

Thanks guys!

I guess I forgot to mention that the coldblood trotter can also be used for other things, not just harness racing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Manca

Manca Senior Member

I really want one now... Seriously, one day when I'll get out of school and have a good job I'll come to Norway and get a Kalblodstraver. See you in few years susurruS, ok? :)

How tall can they get? You say average is 148cm, but there is always up and down. On the market is there any 16hh kaldblodstravers or higher? And how is their temperament? Are they lazy? Hot?

Is there any sites from people that breed this breed? Would love to see :D

1 person likes this.
  7. susurruS

susurruS Full Member

8. Manca

Manca Senior Member

I did :D If only I could understand a word :p Well, I can always look at pics :D

9. susurruS

susurruS Full Member

Hehe :p
    If you comment something or post a status with a question, we'll answere you in english, hehe :p

10. ASM

ASM Senior Member

So used to seeing standardbreds raced like that it's strange to see such a "drafty" type horse doing it. Interesting breed. Do you have any particular plans for Vinni as far as riding goes (is he going to be just for pleasure riding, dressage, jumping?)?