Just walk please!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bnttyra, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Worth a shot. She has been trained to stop when I sit deep, I don't need to even pick up the reins and I do a lot of exhaling when I want her to slow down and so she knows that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

What do you do when trotting and cantering? If you build up a lot of tension and then transition back to a walk, they will no longer walk nice and relaxed. So I would take a look at the quality of the trot and canter work you do.

For example if you force slowness or collection, that might create tension because it makes the horse use the back muscles in an uncomfortable way.

Do you have a video?

3. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

My yellow mare does that on trail rides. She doesn't in the arena but still does on trails. I think it because she's bored, and if we aren't working she wants to GO. In the arena that means we are going to work. I always warm her up in the arena, and I think that's why. She's in the mindset to work. Sounds like that just makes your mare hotter though so I don't know if that would help you. The best thing I have found for the yellow mare is circles. When she gets jiggy I just do circles in whatever pace she has set, the smaller the better and then go back to a walk and carry on. I've tried backing up, but that just makes her hotter.

4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

No forcing at all. She will be walking along nice and relaxed and then I can feel her start to do that really slow WP jog. She just slips into it and I can tell you that many people could not feel it but I know the difference in her. She will just want to do the WP jog even when I ask her to just walk. And I will add it is a killer WP jog, she does it collected and nicely rounded, with her head naturally lower. When she walks correctly it is that way too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Ok here is another funny thing, she will not do it on the trail and doesn't do it all the time in the arena. Not when we first start riding either, only after I lope her. I do the circle thing as well as 2 track and once she slows back down to a walk we move forward.

The more responses I get the more I think it is tied more to her needing to be worked more consistently. She doesn't do it every time, more times than not. And she can be worked out of it. I just wish she didn't do it. I do mix up what we do, one day doing trail, 2 days in the arena, another day moving cattle. I don't want her to get arena sour.

Oh and I don't have any video and I am not riding today in this bipolar weather. The minute I get a saddle on her it will start hailing again.

JStorry likes this.
  6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

With pretty much every horse I've had that has done this, consistency has been a big issue. That and impatience.

I don't much like backing or circles with jigging. Too often I find it gets them more wound up. Relaxing is huge, but also consider she might be getting bored. Bella is famous for either anticipating or just deciding she wants to do something different when she gets bored. So I spend a lot of my arena time making sure I'm in the driver's seat and her little pea-brain is engaged. Laterals, changes of direction, halting in odd places, asking for a turn on the forehand just for the heck of it. Things to keep her from deciding on her own what she wants to do.

Binca and bnttyra like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

No I was not saying as in sore and stiff. I was saying stiffness related to training and conformation. Not swinging the back, flexing the hocks, stiffening up the body when you use your legs, rein, seat.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Being in a good steady program with 3 or more schooling rides and 2-3 trail rides, helps prevent jigging.

9. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I agree that more work would be beneficial. Horses that run on the hot side tend to get worked up at the faster gaits. Oliver is very much like that. Will walk on a loose rein but the second you ask for a canter it's like we're at the derby. Asking for the halt and then releasing was really important for us. I would have him stop and then I would take an audible exhale and THINK walk off. It took a few transitions but it did make a difference. We went back to very basic transitions. There was one time I did get frustrated with him and made him canter and canter and canter all over the **** fields. Back and forth, until he stopped on his own. Might not have been the best way to handle it but haven't had the problem since.
    A lot of barrel horses get ruined by only running at top speeds that they literally cannot help themselves and they'll jig the whole trail ride. It's best to nip this in the butt/bud.

10. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

One thing I want to point out, when I say "jig" it probably isn't the right term. I know what barrel horses do and that is NOT what she does. She just goes into that slow WP jog that is different from a walk, and sorta feels like a little jig. I know the difference but I didn't know how else to really describe it. My bad.