Just walk please!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bnttyra, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

All righty, question for you all. Miss Kitty has an issue with just walking after we jog and lope. She doesn't want to just walk quietly, thinks she needs to do that jiggy walk or really slow jog.

Things I have tried, we will just work on walking and transitioning to a jog and back down to a walk. She does this very well and I can even do an extended jog and she will still go back down to a walk.

I will lope and lope and lope, and ask her to just walk but she won't.

Yesterday I spent about an hour after loping focusing just on a walk, did care how fast, just wanted a walk on a loose rein but she would keep trying to jig or jog.

Now it could be because she hasn't been worked consistently, my bad, but that is going to be changing so are there any drills or exercises that will help her?

While she is bred to work cows, she actually has the movement of a WP horse, not AQHA level by any means but she has done well at open shows and the plan is to get her finished so DD can use her at the state 4H in WP.

Ideas??

Just because she is a cute stinker!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Well I look at that more as a problem of the animal being stiff, and do more bending, so I would do some circles at a walk after loping. I also try when I want to walk, to really relax my body, take my legs off and get my hand down, so that the horse is relaxed and I'm sure it's not a communication problem.

And an old trick is to halt and stand after loping. A lot of horses will do a flat footed walk out of a halt where they won't do so after loping (as long as they are not trotted or loped out of a halt every time).

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

Make sure you use your body to tell her what you want. If you’re still “moving faster than a walk”, she won’t walk either.

I’d stop, do a assertive back up, let her stand, and walk off.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'd back off the loping and just do a lot of walk, trot transitions, patterns, backing, stopping and standing quietly. I'd focus on this alone till she settled down and behaved quietly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Nope far from stiff. We do a lot of bending and flexing at the beginning of every ride. I also do a lot of loping and then just standing, as long as she doesn't try to walk off, I leave her be. That is something we have done a lot of work on, just standing still.

6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

I was thinking that too and really focused on it yesterday. Making sure I am not sending signals I didn't mean to so I don't believe that is the problem. Since she was first being worked with to be a reiner, we did a lot of backing after every stop to get her to think of getting her butt under her for stops. I can do that more but I don't think it will help as I have been doing that already.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Well that is part of the problem, I will go back to just walking, transitions, 2 tracking, etc. and she will be perfect. Heck there was a time where I didn't lope at all for almost 2 months. I usually will make sure she is relaxed and focused, behaving well before I even start to work on the lope. It is just after I lope her, it is then I have a hard time just walking.

I also try to do a lot of 2 tracking, flexing, circles, which all slow her back down to walk and then I let her move straight only to have her start jigging after a few minutes. I will lope and as long as she is consistent and on a loose rein, I leave her be but she is still learning not to speed up and will do that.

Maybe it is just not being consistent with riding, I am kinda at my wits end but maybe I am just not being patient enough, I do have that problem. :rolleyes:

8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Find the relaxation
    Start by exhaling and checking your own breath. I also do ankle circles and arm circles neck circles wrist circles and relax my own body to make sure no anxiety is being caused by myself , my mindset or my position...relax your glutes and leg muscles making sure you're walking in your own body and not restricting with your hips and make sure your calf is off at the walk for now...like hold your calf away from her sides...a lot of time, we use too much leg which causes too much quick footedness. The walk needs to be balanced. What I do is to make sure I pick 3 or 4 very specific spots in my work area or arena and ride to them on a longer rein at a walk, then I sit up, relax, exhale and ask for halt...square halts and make sure I have the legs up under my seat...Then I walk and halt to each spot. If the halt isn't there when i ask, I pick up my inside rein and don't increase pressure, no punishing but allow the horse to find the halt and patiently work on the halt and walk and my transitions. ...Then I do it from halt to trot to halt on a long rein, same method, then halt to canter to halt to get the horse more balanced and ready for my seat. Then go back to walk halt, walk, trot, walk canter, etc. And this will also cause you to find your own center to stay balanced...it's a win win. If you try it, let me know how it goes...I also move shoulders and haunches around a lot, for thinking...like walking squares and foot placement precision.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I didn't mean stiff in the neck. Horses that jig are stiff all over. Especially in the joints of the legs.

10. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Oh you were saying as in sore and stiff. That is a possibility. I would think she would work out of it however over time. Something to consider.