Just Hungry or Missing Vitamins?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BeyondtheTracks, May 16, 2017.

1. BeyondtheTracks

BeyondtheTracks Full Member

Hey- I've owned my Miracle since October and she's my first horse. I have her at a boarding facility that feeds twice a day- morning and night. She gets large pile of hay (about 3 flakes, I believe), beet pulp, and Total Equine- but she also gets a bonus small amount of TE in Aloe Vera juice after her daily training.
    Maybe it's just me being an over concerned new owner, but over the past month or two, I've noticed her eat her poop piles in her run. But, I've also seen other horses in the barn do it too. Is it hunger? Or is it nutrient deficiency related? Most days, she eats just about all her hay by noon, so I'm guessing just hungry, but I'm just making sure so she's as healthy as she can be =)

touchofdandy and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Could be either or both. Horses, by nature, graze for about twenty out of twenty four hours. Try a slow feed hay net so the horse gets small amounts all day long. If they have a flake, they eat it like a plate of spaghetti and it's all gone in no time.

If they are feeding three flakes twice a day, and you put that in a slow feeder and the horse is still eating poop while having good quality hay in front of them, then it might be a habit it picked up, but horses rarely eat poop when they have hay available.

touchofdandy and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. BeyondtheTracks

I'll give the slow feed net a shot =) I'm moving to my own property soon and I'm going to allow free choice hay as well as grazing.
    Thank you!!!

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Do you notice her losing weight since you´ve owned her?

5. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

You need to weigh your hay and the amount of beet pulp and Total Equine she is getting.

The Total Equine needs to be feed at 4 lbs/1,000 lbs body weight according to their directions. The amount of forage (grazing and hay) should be around 1-3% of body weight per day I think.

If the horse gets too heavy on the minimum amount of grain required, switch to a ration balancer or just a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Slow feed hay nets should help with any boredom eating of poop.

ginster likes this.
  6. mrs.white8389

mrs.white8389 Senior Member

Only time my horse ate his poop was when he wasn't getting enough hay. He was getting his full 5lbs of sentinel ls feed a day but he was used to free choice access to hay and only being fed off squares at that time, with very little grass to pick at.

CJ likes this.
  7. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Sometimes it's a nutrient thing but most of the time its because the horse doesn't have access to forage. I would also try a slow feeder hay net to stretch out the amount of time your horse is chewing. Also maybe add some hay cubes to keep your horse eating steadily throughout the day. Most of the time, horses eating poop are food searching.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Probably just not enough forage so try slow feeders. Get a mineral/salt block.

9. BeyondtheTracks

Thanks everyone! I've been consistently feeling her hay net for the past several days now and it appears to be helping =)

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

My boys only ate poop when & after they were in a bad barn that was "full care" but skimping on feed; they were Hungry.
    "3 flakes" maybe sufficient if theyre Huge-thick, or not nearly enough if theyre thin. 3 thin flakes in the bad barn didnt last more than a couple minute (10-15). My big horse got 4-5 preferably, per meal, esp when he was older, decently thick flakes (4+-" each)
    If you can see spine ridge, ribs, or horse is flat/ concave over the points of hips, its thin. Sometimes thats hard to see up close or on a daily basis.