Just for fun - worst training advise you ever got

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Nov 4, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes that's what prompted my comment...how does anyone like these trainers stay in business??!?!

There is a certain segment of the market that is like 'who cares if she can make my horse win?'

2. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

A couple of the students had that mindset, but... a lot of them were young adults in awe of a trainer whose skills were far above their own. They were intimidated, and their parents were even less experienced when it came to horses so they didn't feel qualified to give their opinion. The trainer was also very good at justifying her actions afterwards. "I know what I did might seem harsh, but it's better for the horse in the long run. Trust me, I've trained horses to grand prix. You have to get on top of this behaviour if you want to progress. You do want to progress don't you?" Then she'd go back to being normal and you'd wonder if you imagined the whole thing until she lost it again a month or so later.

slc likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Lord does that sound familiar!

4. StraightandTrue

I'm pretty sure it's in Chapter 1 of the "Bad Trainer's Handbook."

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I think the most remarkable moment for me was the day the trainer pushed me up against a wall rather....abruptly.

For calling the vet.

6. StraightandTrue

Yikes!

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Yeh my horse had a rather big knee - from a kick wound to the knee. I always have the vet look at any kick wounds on a joint.

She stated that the weather was bad so it was wrong for me to ask the vet to come over, but the vet was already nearby (the clinic wasn't very far from that barn either).

The weather wasn't actually that bad. It was snowing, but, well, it's winter. I don't actually think that was what was going on in her head though - she was kind of a bs-er in general.

Her reaction was too extreme for that to be the reason anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Senior Member

Put her in a tie down they said. It’ll fix her ewe neck they said.
    So the tie down goes on.
    I sit on horse. Horse just rears directly up and dumps me.

The ewe neck has fixed up wonderfully without the tie down. Thanks very much :rolleyes::hah:

slc likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

In general a tie down makes a ewe neck worse. And...there's the rearing, too.

Quarter Girl likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

When I had my first horse (a darling little mare who could do no wrong in my opinion) and was still dumb myself, I had the issue of her bloating/blowing out when girthing up. The other boarder and "trainer" came over and said, "this is all you need to do," before repeatedly kneeing my poor pony in the gut and yanking up on the billets :eek:

My mare now is also a great bloater. I think they'd get kicked in the head if anyone tried that "trick" on her.... and you know what's an easier trick to tighten the girth up to ideal snugness? You walk. Not KNEEEEE.... WALKKKKKK :cautious:

endurgirl and mkoktavy like this.