Just for fun - worst training advise you ever got

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Nov 4, 2017.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

What's the dumbest thing anybody's ever told you to do?

Somebody told me once I should hog tie and lay my 6 month old filly on the ground so she could be trimmed.

equinitis and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Lunge my horse and keep on snapping the whip behind her to move out more/gallop

3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Use a crop to gag a biter :crazy:

4. hanapocalypse

hanapocalypse Registered

I had a farrier (who had previously been very good with my horse) become furious with my four year old gelding for trying to take back one of his hind legs. Not a kick, just trying to pick it up and set it down on the ground..as young horses sometimes do.

The farrier took a piece of baling twine and wrapped it around my horse's lower jaw. He then yanked on it three times and my poor gelding nearly flipped over backwards. Farrier told me if I ever wanted my horse to stand still for a trim that I should continue "training" him this way.

I told the farrier I no longer needed his services and he was not allowed to touch any of my horses again. I understand that being under a young horse can be a dangerous position but the amount of force and anger he directed towards my horse appalled me. I found it quite strange since he had been a wonderful, gentle farrier for the two years prior I had known him.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

At a clinic a trainer said such and such was wrong, I corrected it and he sais, i don't know what you did but now it's better.....and i thought....that's disturbing, a real straightforward fix and he doesn't know what i did? I just paid a lot fer nuthin.

I can think of a better example when i wake up.

Peeperpuppy and arabbarrelracer like this.
  6. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Many years ago, a trainer thought I should send my youthful horse to him because he " was a professional".

His nasty-*** reputation preceded him and his comment translated to he needed the money:poop:

I train my own horses ----- they are much happier and mentally stabile for it:tiphat:

7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

This wasn't training advice... just a bad trainer.
    I was taking lessons from someone and I was almost finished tacking up when they decided to help me finish. So the person tied my horse's tongue, which I always did, but this person made it so tight that his tongue turned purple within a few seconds. No thanks. I'll tie my own horse's tongue so that he can actually feel his tongue. I don't take lessons with this person anymore.

Breezah and manesntails like this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Tie his tongue??? WTH does that mean?

9. Caroline Rose

Caroline Rose Full Member

It helps to make sure that the bit goes over the horses tongue.

NBChoice likes this.
  10. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

It prevents the horse from getting their tongue over the bit. It is not supposed to be tight.
    While this video is completely ridiculous for the commentary and what not, it does show exactly how I was taught to do it.