Just an angry horse

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by leverage, Oct 6, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

According to the OP, he is only ridden by a couple of riders

2. Spoopy_Doopy_Potato

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato Full Member

The problem is whoever handles him apparently does a very poor job of it. He need to be corrected every time he does something aggressive (biting or trying to kick) and if he isn't corrected well, it will only get worse. Whoever owns this horse needs to fix him, and you don't need to be learning to ride from someone too incompetent to deal with their own horse. I would highly reccomend learning somewhere else.

I haven't read all the replies yet. I wanted to get that initial thought out first.

3. Spoopy_Doopy_Potato

I highly respect you for not selling your mare and getting a new horse that can jump higher. For some reason, we buy dogs and cats intending to keep them forever (you don't buy a Persian and say nah I'm gonna get rid of my Persian and try a Shorthair) but people go through horses like cars. I really respect you for seeing your horse as animal and not a machine that can be replaced. :)
    However, "he's been this way forever"... The horse just needs someone that knows what they're doing. It's never the horse's fault and I assure you he wasn't born that way.

Edit: After reading all the replies, I would reccomend doing lessons on your mare (or not, if you and your mare are already as far as your mare can take you, and simply riding her and enjoying her. If you're as far as you and your mare are going to go there is no point in lessons, just enjoy her, unless you enjoy doing lessons which in that case stay in them) and if you want to keep pursuing jumping, find a better instructor who can keep her horse from being sour.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Each to their own, but you simply cannot compare keeping horses to keeping cats and dogs, smaller pets really are part of the family, they share our homes, and we usually don't expect much in return apart from company. Now to horses our needs change, our abilities and our ambitions change. My Gibbs, was the best safest, the sanest horse out, he wasn't a performance horse though. I actually felt guilty for keeping him, because I knew that there were more people out there who he could help. I did advertise him once, and there were so many people who he could of helped. In the end I couldn't let him go, so he stayed with me. If people don't pass horses on, where do all the experienced beginner horses come from?

Personal decision, and I don't make judgements on peoples choices, but horses are an expensive luxury, not a pet.

5. Spoopy_Doopy_Potato

Well mine are like children to me. *shrug*

leverage likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yeah but they aren't. but as I said each to their own.

meljean and manesntails like this.
  7. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

When my kids were younger I ‘sold’ them as day laborers to the older couple next door. They shoveled snow, raked leaves, cleaned gutters.....lolol....worked out well for all parties

manesntails and CabterCrazy like this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well blow that, never thought of doing that, missed a trick.

manesntails likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

How would you suggest correcting it?

leverage likes this.
  10. leverage

leverage Registered

Hi! Sorry for the long time away, was very busy. I have been riding less and less with the barn and have finally asked to ride a different horse. They switched me to not a much better ride but a much friendlier one. The grump doesn’t have any horse friends he nips and kicks every time another horse becomes within any distance close to him. Not sure what’s up with that. And leverage and direct pressure bits are the two main types of bits, not sure what else that is meaning. Thank you all so much for your help!