Jus' horsin' around...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by billz, Sep 26, 2018.

1. billz

billz Full Member

Five years ago, we sold the farm and moved to the city. Small town really, but a place with sidewalks and a much smaller mowing responsibility. Whew! Ridin' that tractor was not really much fun but the results were pleasing.

When we moved, we were fortunate enough to have paid off the farm property so when that sold we were able to purchase our home in town out-right and not have a mortgage. All these pieces came together because we're preparing for retirement so it was not a surprise to us when things worked out this way. Hard work paid off in huge dividends.

Anyway, I miss the farm, a lot. It's not really fair to call our place a farm because we only had a garden the size of a postage stamp. The rest of the property was dedicated to producing rocks. And sticks,... not really farming a crop like most farmers think of if. It'd be more true to the definition if'n we called it a ranch but 12 acres would barely qualify as a ranchette. When we moved, we still had two horses and a goat so they went to live with my Mother-in-Law on her farm. As each of these animals aged, nature has taken it's course.

Today I lost my horse, the last of our herd. Star was a Registered Quarter Horse over 30 years old and had the cancer among other things. We assisted her in a gracious crossing into the next life this morning. I loved her and will miss her while looking forward to seeing her again when we all rejoin together in the here-after and we'll get to ride again, together, across the heavens.

I am afoot now, for just a little while. Horsin' around seems to be in my blood. I guess you might say I have cowboy in my soul. The people at the barn, Redmond Stables, where we've boarded for the last few months have been outstanding in helping with the extended care for my girl. Now, I'm going to become part of the volunteer staff there and give back to those whom I might be able to assist, as I received.

I don't know if I'll have another horse of my own in my future, but my love of horses will never end. So, I've come here, just to hang out and lean over the fence and look at the horses with the other crazies...and I feel danged glad to be here.

Cowboy up!

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, it's never easy, even when we know it's coming. You've had a lot of adjustments, but you sound like it's working out well. My sis did this a couple years ago, it's a huge adjustment, hang in there-!!

You'll never outgrow that love for horses, happy to have you with us and say my hellos. ;)

Welcome to the forum-!! :tiphat:

3. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

Sorry for your loss. Volunteering is a great way to get back into horses, good for you!

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Ough, I just remembered: “Must inform @MuckMuck We have another guy on the forum. Come hither~!!“ must introduce you to him.
    Mucky is everyone's best horse philosopher. Mine too.

billz likes this.