Jumping Pics! (We're getting higher)

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by E90Style, Jul 10, 2017.

1. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

I wish I had better pictures to share. My photographer has been promoted to my class and I have been promoted up and out. So saturday we rode in the same class. No photos unfortunately :( Starting next week I ride at a new time. We have a couple kinds of jumps at this stable. Bare with me on the lingo. Poles on the ground they hop over. Then there are cross rails that make a small X. Next are the cross rails with flowers to make horses jump a hair higher. Fourth are the "verticals" these are jumps that are 2 feet with one pole going horizontally across. After that it goes "straight line" basically a 2 ft "vertical" with taller flowers to make them go a little higher than 2ft. Then we have these double sets of 2.6" jumps. My instructor had me try out the "straight lines." I did 8 in total. 4 in each pattern. Doing the pattern twice. The first jump I tried it, I will admit, I was sooo concentrated on keeping my legs are the girth and not letting them budge back a centimeter I held my hands in two point too close, as stated in previous posts from the previous ride. It just slipped my mind even though I had read this article the night before as a refresher. She shouted out very kindly to me to move my hands up on his neck and then I instantly remembered this thread's post and each jump there after I made sure to keep my hands in front of my shoulders and open up my chest giving Quincy that release. One the first pattern, cantering jump number 3, Quincy took off early and caught me off guard, it didnt feel pretty and I'm sure it didnt look pretty either, however I maintained by balance, and got him straight, rounded the corner, and off to the final jump. She told me I did great and that some horses prefer one lead to another and when I finish jump 2 and approach jump 3 just to remember to make him use his left side more. She had me do it once more and it was perfect she said! She say next week I start with the straight line classes. So I'll have my photographer again, thank goodness.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 7:35 AM
    Pony123 likes this.
  2. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

This is who I rode for the first time jumping "straight lines" He was such a sweet boy. He will give you leg workout for sure. I'm convinced at one time he must have been a pleasure horse. His trot is slower than most of the other horses walk. lol I like him regardless.

[​IMG]

3. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

I really hope I get him again next week.

4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Carry a whip and use it if you don't get a reaction INSTANTLY if you give an aid. You can not concentrate on your position when you have to squeeze, squeeze, squeeze to get a decent speed..

E90Style likes this.
  5. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

I completely agree! He's a notorious slow poke.

6. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

It's awesome that you are so earnestly trying to apply everything you learned! You will very quickly get better if you keep this up and ride a lot to enforce the concepts. I love following your progress!

7. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

And the slow guys will really teach you how to ride!

E90Style likes this.
  8. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

Thank you so much! I wish I could ride more to learn more quickly. My daughter is just still so young. I cant trust her at the stable so I am limited to only being able to ride one day a week for the time being. As she gets older, I will ride more! I can't wait to ride 2 and 3 times a week.....in like 2 years LOL

Nu5ha likes this.
  9. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

lol I get the struggle...I'm lucky to be able to ride more than once a week this year but for a while it was only once a week.

10. zomer

zomer Senior Member

upload_2017-7-19_18-35-55.png

Everyone said all of these things well with words, but for a picture - this is the position that is closer to what you want before/during the jump. See how you are centered over the saddle and your leg is solidly under you. You can offer more of a release but at these heights, a shorter release (with mane hold) is also fine. Looking good!

E90Style likes this.