Jumping help :)

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by VermilionStrife, Jul 13, 2018.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Well, I just started jumping again this year, for the first time in about 10 years, so keep that in mind, my legs are definitely not what they used to be! :blushing:

I’m looking for suggestions on building my lower leg back up. It seems like no matter what I do my lower leg bounces quite a bit. I used to be the no stirrup queen. 2 point without stirrups? Cake! Posting trot for 10 minutes with no stirrups? Easy! This bouncy lower leg makes 2 point a little more difficult because I feel like I can’t be as effective with my leg. I’m out of ideas lol

Also, I hunch over horribly over the jumps and apparently like to drop my left shoulder. I work with an instructor when she is able to come to town but have not hauled out for lessons to where she lives (89 miles away through the deer gauntlet). Anything helps!

I’d also like to hear your thoughts about my horse’s form over fences. He is very new to it also and we have been taking fences from the trot, but he seems to be taking to it quickly. The photos where he is really reaching are from a one stride bounce (you just can’t see the first jump) teaching him to jump from a 12 foot stride. My instructor wants him to learn to reach because he has a tendency to suck back and shorten rather than extend for the jump.

TIA!

ETA: I do have short videos, but I'm not sure if my phone will allow me to put them on youtube, I've been having issues with that. If I can, I will later, but it won't be this weekend since I leave for a show right after work. :)

Attached Files:

mkoktavy likes this.
  2. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

He looks like a happy jumper! I think given your time off, your form isn’t bad at all.
    The main thing I like to see most is a good release. Which you have going on. I believe the release is the best foundation to have so the horse doesn’t get sour while we perfect our form.
    My opinion only tho!

VermilionStrife likes this.
  3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Shorten the stirrups one or two holes. And don't jump ahead of the horse, wait for the horse to take off and only lean down on his neck to the extent he actually needs for this tiny stuff.

You throw yourself onto the neck and the leg slides back. That's unstable, one happy crow hop after the obstacle, and you get lost.

4. VermilionStrife

I feel like my release could be better haha but it's been so long and I'm trying to re-learn everything all at once while teaching him, but my instructor says she wants me to do it because she thinks I can. I don't have much confidence in myself I guess!

~tiffy~ likes this.
  5. VermilionStrife

He makes the jump look tiny, but they're over 2 feet (except the cross rail). I find myself struggling with consistently keeping my 2 point, is there anything on the flat you could recommend @Garfield70? I practice 2 pointing and doing up-up-down posting which seems to help some.

6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Yoga!!! The droopy/weakness you have on a horse I guarantee you also have off the horse. When you stand really focus on where your weight is. I've noticed ALL of my weight goes into my right leg, and guess what? My right hip/seat is SO tight my mare sidepasses away from it in the saddle unless I focus on loosening it.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

First shorten the stirrups, that may already help for your positon. Riding jumping saddles with too long stirrups tends to pull the leg backwards.

8. VermilionStrife

@Garfield70 Ok thank you. :)

@ibsammy My left leg is shorter, and my weaker side, but I actually put more weight on my right leg when walking. Haha I have a heel lift in my shoe now, so I'm even for the first time in a while. We'll see if that helps make a difference. My left side is more limber than my right side, in both my hip and glute.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

On the flat, trot in 2-point down the long side, sit for the short side, back in 2-point on the long side. Trot in 2-point up hill.

Off your horse, stand on one leg. Do it equally with both legs. Knee slightly bend, not locked. I do this standing in line at the grocery store, waiting at street corners, waiting for a bus. Doing it on one of those half-size exercise balls (the ones that are flat on the bottom but rounded on top) is awesome!

Put your toes and the balls of your feet on a step and let your heels gradually relax down. Then do up-down lifts, standing up on your toes and lowering back down slowly.

Use resistance bands - hook it around the door frame and one leg and move your leg outward and back, forward and back, or inward and back.

I got all those from physical therapy after a knee surgery (except trotting 2-point of course) and they're great for leg strength and control.

VermilionStrife and ibsammy like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Trot in 2 point and maintain that position without posting or resting, starting with 3 times a week, 5 min, increase by 5 min each week. Work your way up to 45 minutes straight(9 weeks).

It's also good to not be real hard on yourself. It will take time to develop strength in the 2 point position.

VermilionStrife likes this.