JR - From hippo to barrel horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Circle C, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

As some of you may know, I sold my mare and bought a new horse. For those of you that would like to follow, here it goes...

"J.R." - 2006 AQHA gelding.

I got him in mid Sept after I got back from vacation. He was broke and used as a trail horse, but only ridden 3-4 times in the past year. He was hippo fat, buddy sour and spooky, but decently broke.

This photo was taken in August before I brought him home:
    jr1.jpg

I started riding him 4-6 days a week. We started with some trail riding, loping circles and some basic arena work (side passing, bending, counter bending, roll backs, pivots, etc.).

This photo was taken around mid Sept:
    jr2.jpg

I worked up to riding him 6 days a week and workouts got longer. He was starting to turn into a broke horse and was riding nice. These photos were taken around the end of Sept (don't mind my comfy riding pants lol) :
    jr3.png
    jr5.jpg

Around this time, I started to work him on the barrel pattern. B/c he was so broke, he took to the pattern very easily and very well. This comparison photo was taken around Oct 1st:
    jr4.jpg

I exhibitioned him last weekend and he did really well. He is going to his 1st show this coming Sat, so I will update at that time.

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

He looks much more fit!!! :) Nice job.

Circle C likes this.
  3. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

I will have to keep my eye on this thread ;) he is looking nice! What are your goals sith him/what division do you think he'll get to?

He's very handsome. He looks sweet. :)

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Well, I'm hoping for a 1/2D horse. He has 2 half siblings that are 1/2D and a 3rd that passed away, but he was also 1/2D. I know the line can run so we shall see what happens. If he doesn't turn out to be 1/2D, then I will most likely sell him as a youth rodeo horse. I have a knack for training/selling those. Seems all my horses lately turn out to be about that caliber.

SparkleDust and VermilionStrife like this.
  5. Rainbowaholic

Rainbowaholic Senior Member

It looks like he carries himself a lot better now :) his muscling is even/balanced, he looks like a different horse. You found a horse inside the hippo!!! :cooldance:

Serenity06 and Circle C like this.
  6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Thanks. He was pretty fat, wasn't he? lol

Rainbowaholic likes this.
  7. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Holy (not anymore) cow!

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

This was his cruise thru tonight. Not too shabby for 7 times on the pattern. I have a few things to fine tune yet (1st barrel approach wasn't quite right and he sliced the back side off which caused him to bow out and he needs to get by the 2nd and 3rd a little more before he turns. He needs a little more room), but overall I'm very pleased with him. He's much softer in the face and body and he's very smooth in his turns. I think he's going to make a really nice horse.

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

UPDATE:
    I started having some issues with him the past few times I rode so I had him adjusted by my chiro this past Fri. What a HUGE difference. He was def sore. We had a little incident a few weeks ago where he tried to back out of the trailer before he was untied. He apparently tweaked himself all up and he was working worse and worse. It was def a good call. I gave him a couple days off after his adjustment and rode him yesterday. He worked great. Back to his normal, easy self.

We are pretty busy the next couple weekends (QH Congress this weekend, NFL game next weekend), and it's hunting season so I can only ride in the woods on Sundays (boo), so I probably won't be doing much with him in the next couple weeks. I am planning on starting to haul him quite a bit after Xmas.I hope to have him clocking by spring. Time will tell.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I don't have any updates on JR himself, but his sister (owned/ridden by my cousin) placed at Quarter Horse Congress in the pole bending sweepstakes.

She was 7th in the 2nd go of the sweeps with a 19.8, 8th in the final go with a 20.0 and 6th in the average - came home with around $1,400.

JR has had close to a week off. I will be starting back with him today after work.