John Lyons Senior Feed from Costco

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by vlbisme, Feb 13, 2011.

1. vlbisme

vlbisme Registered

Does anybody use this feed? It is from Nutrena, I believe, it is a good price and I wonder if anyone has an opinion on this feed as a supplement feed not a complete diet and if anyone else is buying it from Costco in California.

2. lucindakarizma

lucindakarizma Registered

Hello. I've been buying this feed for the past two years. I feed my Arabian mare (now 31) twice a day and she also gets alfalfa. She was getting very thin and bony around the back of her ears where I could slip my finger around the bone. Now she is filled out nicely and keeping the weight on. I have used Dumars from TSC with the same results. Other posters seem to think the John Lyons brand is not very good. I can only tell you I have good results with my horse. Also, the last time I was in COSTCO they were sold out! I pretty much panicked but they assured me this is a product they will continue to order because as soon as a load comes in it is gone. I usually try to have 3 bags on hand ($15.29 and rising). Hope this helps.

3. silversioux

silversioux Registered

I have a 39 year old (yes, you read right!) horse who has not had any molars for about 8 years. He has been on 100% Senior feed all these years. I switched to John Lyon's senior when it became available at our Carson City, NV Costco when they started carrying it (6 years ago?) because it was several dollars cheaper per bag. Obviously, he has done very well on it. I am very happy with the feed.

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If you can take a picture of the label - ingredients, analysis - that would help a lot

5. luv2show

luv2show Senior Member+

This thread is 4 years old... can't even find an ingredient list on Google. Weird, maybe try Costco's site if you're interested .... but usually if a grain is so cheap you can't believe it, it's because the ingredients aren't of quality or ideal.

1 person likes this.
  6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Wow, totally missed the dates. The thread that gets replied to every couple of years LOL

1 person likes this.
  7. silversioux

silversioux Registered

John Lyons Senior Feed Ingredients

Here is a scan of the feed ingredients.
    Purina would tell you that their ingredients are better. All I can tell you is that my 39-year-old has done very well on it for many years. It isn't readable here, but if you download it, you should be able to increase the size. It was readable on my computer.

JohnLyonsFeed.jpg

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

It's not the best feed, but not the worst, based on ingredients. I would wager the NSC is in the mid-upper teens, not higher or lower, and probably a little closer to 15 than 19. I wouldn't hesitate to try it if the other options were, say, Dumor and Country Acres, but someone would have to put in a really good argument for trying it over TC Sr, for example.

1 person likes this.