Jerk Mare just started kicking at other horses

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by LeenieBean, Feb 26, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I know the weather has been so erratic here last year and this that mares that normally had quiet heats were having some real hormonal issues. Maybe that's it. Anyway, glad she's acting better.

2. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

so far so good. I think I would be truly worried if she ever acted cranky to a person, that would really be out of character for her. I haven't put her in a position to offer a kick but she has been otherwise good around the others, kept at a distance. the last time I was out she came to gate to meet me when I called, which is really unusual, she generally looks up and then returns to eating. Not hard to catch, but doesn't help you out either. She put her face right in her halter and she proceeded to offer her very best behavior and tried very hard in our ride. I can't complain there. She does seem to cycle hard- in that she does get the poops in spring and fall, but we had a real early warm melt that maybe messed them up. She's shedding out now. spring has sprung.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Wuss Horse has been kicking when he gets his food. He bucks, rears and kicks out. He doesn't do it when a person is in the stall. He doesn't kick toward the other horses.

It appears that he is just terribly upset about the bad service in this joint. Either that or it is just that exciting to get fed.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  4. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

well. I got some not so great news that explains just about everything about this horse that I have struggled with for the past couple of years. In addition to being n/h for hypp, suspected this for some time but finally bit the bullet on the confirmation. Still awaiting Px results.

paris results.JPG

Alsosusieq2, Dream27, ginster and 4 others like this.
  5. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

on the bright side, she's feeling pretty good these days, and the biting is slowing down by whoever is doing it. I think the new dumb gelding, she's been quite content and comfortable to snooze in the spring sun without being bugged. Anyway, I guess I need to take a bit to digest this. :( 29468921_10160132053230383_3006657878078521344_n.jpg

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, that sux, but at least, now you know and can form a plan of action. Sorry this happened to the both of you. :(

Alsosusieq2 and LeenieBean like this.
  7. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

thanks manes. I suspected it a while ago, waited until the turn around time at the lab was something reasonable (at one point it was 6-7 months). But its confirmed now. I made changes when I moved her to this barn, and have done what I can to help her. after her first attacks, I had put her on high protein as is called for in the diet, but it seemed to make her batty, that may not necessarily be the case, she may have still been going through problems at that time stemming from the original attacks. Her biggest issue seems to be the cold, so she's done so much better just keeping her warm and cozy. And stopped treating her like she's nuts... just try to be patient. getting fired up and annoyed when she acts up obviously just frustrates her more... I think we have come to an agreement amongst ourselves. She was NOT being badly behaved due to training or trying to challenge me, she was trying to tell me something. So I get it now. I've spoken with a couple people whose horses tested out the same as her, and it seems to be a very select group of symptoms that effect these guys the most, although some people still call it mumbo jumbo, including a friend of mine who has her half brother, who responded to me saying "she can't lope worth a dam..." with "well, I bet you can't lope worth a dam either..."frrrrrr.... well when she can't lope on the lunge properly either, I'd have to say its not just me... so I haven't even bothered with talking with her breeder because she looks at hypp and me testing her in the same light. I'm furious I wasn't told about the hypp... pretty sure she won't give a darn about this either. not that she could have known.

8. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

the barrel stud a streak of fling has foals testing out positive, after one of them was having similar problems in training. Understandably they are now discrediting the facility and researchers involved (he's got over 1000 foals on the ground, so ya... I can see the breeders being unhappy when someone shared the results. since dam was tested negative, it came from him...) I think this is a can of worms on the cusp of opening up in the barrel industry, as is what happened with pssm1 testing. I have done DNA testing myself in a lab, and I know how it works. Its not easy to screw up. Dr. valberg is also discrediting the lab. probably because she spent 26 years researching the genes and only found one, while this group stepped in and found 4 genes responsible in a couple of years. she makes a small fortune testing biopsies when this can tell you exactly what you have, not just based on an interpretation of how cells look. we shall see what the future holds. The researchers are particularly interested in my horse because she has both p2 and p4 so they are keeping her in mind with further research. This is only the beginning. but I am thankful for their tireless efforts. I am now off to hug my horse and tell her she's not crazy.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

How much would a horse that is n/p4 and n/p2 actually be expected to have symptoms of the disorder?

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member