1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

IYO: Is it worth widening a gullet channel on a well-made older saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by savethewhaley, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

The cost to properly re-engineer a saddle like that most likely far exceeds the value of the saddle, itself...by a lot.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Remember that when you widen a channel you are giving up surface area on the panels to accommodate it. Those older saddles don't tend to have a very big/wide bearing surface, and widening the channel will eat into that........

mooselady likes this.
  3. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

$100 doesn't sound out Landish to me, but I'm assuming the OP lives in an area where tack repair is generally cheaper than my area? assuming it's a quality job, I'd do it.

op- have you seen examples of his work before? it's worth finding the most skilled person to repair your tack.

4. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

Yes, this is why a saddle repair person told me she would not be willing to widen the channel on an older saddle.

5. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Finally got to talk to the saddle guy over the phone last night late. He said that I could do it but the most he could widen it would be about 3/4 of an inch without changing my saddle to the point where it might be compromised or not fit my horse. Decided not to go through with it- I don't think it would be worth it and my correction pad works well enough.
    Thanks!