1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

IYO: Is it worth widening a gullet channel on a well-made older saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by savethewhaley, Jan 11, 2017.

1. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Having an older saddle repaired for a minor fix, but I had asked about widening the gullet and was told they didn't know until looking at it. The saddle is the older Collegiate RD Senior Event.
    It's looking like it is possible, but I'm not sure it is worth it. I have a half pad with the spine cut out that works will with the saddle. If I go on with it, I will have payed more for repairs than the initial price I payed for it.
    So: is it worth paying for it? I have a habit of being very indecisive and second-guessing myself...

2. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

I wouldn't. It may weaken the tree/frame and cause it to flatten or sink. If you can correct it with a pad while saving for a better fit, would probably be the best bet.

3. savethewhaley

I wouldn't be saving for a better fit. This is one of my three saddles and I love it to death lol

4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

If its too narrow for most horses, it might be worth it, if it makes it more usable. If its to fit 1 horse better, Im not so sure. It might be better and cheaper to find a saddle that type/ make In the wider gullet and keep for fav for use without surgery?
    Im not sure/ convinced a Collegiate is worth putting big rehab money into, personally. Theyre ok, but surgery worthy?.. Ennnn..:confused:

5. savethewhaley

It is an older Collegiate, so definitely of better quality, but I agree, still not a 'high end' saddle.
    You can't find this saddle with a wider gullet channel- I'm not sure what you meant by that. SE's are very rare to find to me, the ones I've found are $600+ and usually look a little beat. Mine was $200 and came with leathers, stirrups, a couple of pads.
    It is my guy's saddle, he is a 18hh Perch/TB. The tree on this saddle is a XW but fits more like a medium I'd say.
    Estimate was $100 to fix the gullet.

6. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

I meant a different saddle made to fit your horse. $100 vs $1000 does not sound bad but seems you have already made the choice. If it is what you want them do it just make sure they know what they are doing and not just guessing about it.

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Wasnt sure if it was an average tree, narrow, or actually already wide. A narrow or medium could mad be found in a wide.. already wide, I see your problem.
    5" gullet, between the pads? My Crosby Baron was a marked factory XW and I believe was 5" between gullet pads.

8. savethewhaley

The tree is not the problem- it fits very well. My problem is the gullet channel. This often causes confusion I think lol
    The gullet channel fits at the withers but gets narrower towards the back. I am not sure if it is worth paying my saddle guy to widen the channel for me.
    I feel like I am making myself seem like an idiot here. :p

9. Fisk72

Fisk72 Full Member

So, he's replacing the panels or remodeling them towards the back, correct? If it's worth it to you, you can do whatever you want - but, you'll probably never get back what you put in - when/if you re-sell the saddle.

10. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

I've never done it, but in your situation I would. You love the saddle and your horse would be much happier with the wider channel- I say go for it!