I've Got It Made training thread

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, Mar 26, 2017.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

I'm going to see her tomorrow and see how she is doing. I had the option to go today but bad sinus infection had me stuck on the couch all day. I got a text later telling me its probably a good thing because she is in full blown heat again and was bratty. Picking up stuff for her tomorrow.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Let us know!

3. BipolarHonor

I didn't get to see her this weekend hopefully today when I drop off more feed for her. Trainer really likes her hauling her to the arena and she is standing tied quietly til it's her turn to work and just be in awesome other than the whole raging brat moment when she went into heat this weekend

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Gotta love mares lol

I have been riding the block where I board. It is 7.5 miles. I mostly long trot and lope it. Keeping JR in shape and getting him to stretch his nose down and go long/low. His "upside down" neck got a little worse w/ the trainer b/c she just kind of let him put his head wherever he wanted. But, he is working great on the pattern and that's what I paid her for. I'm happy with the results. Now, I just need to keep him in shape and get him working long/low again, which is is doing. Hopefully his neck shapes up. It should.

5. BipolarHonor

Ugh I just can't win. Got a call from the trainer. They took Ivy on an easy walking trail ride to get her out of the arena and doing something else. She did awesome til they were almost home the she wanted to do some actual work so the trainer worked her a little. Nothing super hard.....and she BLED from it! The trainer thinks it was more stress related and her getting herself worked up but she is concerned about her future as a barrel horse if she can't handle lighter works without bleeding. Any suggestions on supplements for bleeder and making her less stressed. She is on the daily gold but it's not helping much with the stress.

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

That's not good. If it were me, I would probably sell her and get something that is healthy and doesn't have the stress/nerve issues.

There are some good meds out there for bleeders, but I can't remember them off-hand. I would have to ask.

A combo that worked for my horses was SmartCalm and SmartGut from Smartpak (for nerves). I went with Smartpak b/c if you use their products for 2 months and don't see a difference, they will refund you.

7. BipolarHonor

It's definitely an option my concern is will someone treat her badly thinking they know it all and she's just being stubborn and not realizing there's more to the issue than just that. It isn't the bleeding that has me questioning if i should sell because thats manageable it's someone taking her and thinking they can beat her into being quiet. She's getting about a month off to recover from the bleeding and let her lungs heal and then I'm going to start just trail riding no arena at all and see where we get with that.

8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

If she was not scoped, you really have no idea what is going on with her. There are a couple of causes of bleeding, genetics pay a part in the high pressure that causes most bleeding that results from hard work, but many factors can play into this. Has she bled before? Ever? Have you worked her hard?

Infection, inflammation, cold temperatures, dust and pollen can cause bleeds too and bleeds under these conditions may not indicate a chronic condition at all. I have never heard of mental stress causing bleeds and I have been around a lot of it being raised with race horses.

As mentioned above, there are medications for treating/controlling bleeding but the horse needs to be scoped after a work to ascertain the cause. Lasix is/was common in racing but newer rules regarding frequency and timing of use have limited that use I believe. Nasal strips are being used in racing, show jumping and eventing to great effect I think.

Again, you can't really decide on a treatment unless you know why she bled.

VermilionStrife and Circle C like this.
  9. BipolarHonor

she has no history of bleeding and she is an exracer. She was not worked hard yesterday but she is out of shape and its been a lot hotter the past 2 or 3 days compared to what it has been.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I would be getting the vet out for an exam if she just randomly bled.