I've Got It Made training thread

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, Mar 26, 2017.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

Circle I found out why I was familiar with your trainers name. A friend of mine uses her to get her horses broke which I why I considered switching to her not just to get her patterned but for start to finish if she is available.

I guess the hunt for a trainer begins again once I get her adjusted. If I can find someone at the barn with an easy going horse I'm thinking of taking her out on the trails Sunday just to get her away from the ring and give her a break from all the training and see if she will just settle down and relax for that at least.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

She is great and she can get one broke. If you don't mind paying for 6 months of training, send her over. I would imagine at least 3 months will be spent on getting her broke. Or, maybe she'll (horse) surprise you. She (trainer) is really good at figuring out what each horse needs and getting the job done in a way that works for that horse.

3. BipolarHonor

So I know it's tough to know from a photo but does this look like it is being ridden front to back?

FB_IMG_1490977747521.jpg

4. BipolarHonor

I'm trying to find the video of that ride

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Based on that single photo - yup. The hind end isn't allowed to come through, the rider is tipped forward and the horses mouth is open.

6. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Before I looked for a physical component to her way of going I would stop riding her face and just let her move. She won't relax when you are focused on keeping her nose tucked in. I went through a similar thing with my very forward, very animated gelding. Tried to keep him slow with my hands and got him all bunched up through his body. I finally (finally) figured out I needed to let him move the way he moves and work from there. I don't even worry about his front end until the back end is moving forward and yes, it was way too fast and not 'relaxed' but when we had the right body movement, then I could take him in hand and he would lift into the bridle. It is never 'relaxed' but it is correct for him. I think this horse just needs to be allowed freedom of movement and then work on getting her framed the way you want.

7. BipolarHonor

I let the trainer know today that the training would be ending due to finances, which is a good part of it I can't afford to pay for a trainer that is going to take so long to progress and im just too nice of a person to say hey your way of training isnt working for my horse. and surprise surprise she didn't show up today for her last session like I was expecting.

I did contact another trainer who is coming to look at her tomorrow and make a game plan. Much more affordable and Ivy will travel to her barn where she will have access to an arena that I regularly compete at so she can start getting Ivy out and riding around other horses while she trains which is something that wasn't happening here and when ivy was around others while under saddle she wouldn't focus which is a big issue if she is going to be at barrel races with over 100 competitors. I've seen what she turns out and they are all nice and light in the mouth.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The horse needs to be ridden with FAR LESS contact to get fit under saddle before there's any headset manipulated onto her. She can't move correctly without the use of her head and neck, which the rider has no idea they are restricting.

Whoever is riding her can't ride, let alone train. Look at her toes in the still picture, the rider. She hasn't even got her own balance down pat, let alone the skill to post. Her weight is in the ball of the foot, not over the ankle, and this puts the rider's weight , at the post, squarely over the horse's wither. She is falling forward, not rising g with the trot, just jumping up. She has no calf or core strength.

She's blocking the horse's movement at every turn and you can see the horse suffering to maintain his own balance by squatting behind.

Just get a decent rider to ride the dang horse. That'll build up some muscle so it CAN go into training.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. BipolarHonor

The rider in the western pic is not the trainer..... and it's an old picture I was just curious in what all you thought of what she was doing in that pic

10. BipolarHonor

Update: New trainer LOVES her. She left with her Saturday. Gave her Sunday to settle and then started working her Monday. I got a text from her saying I can't have my horse back she likes her too much lol. She just did some lunging and w/t Monday said she didn't know whoa on the lunge line so they worked on that and relaxing. When she got on her Ivy started throwing her head so she got off and adjusted the bridle and found scabs covering old pinch marks from the bit from previous trainer I was not happy at all about that. Then Tuesday they w/t/c on loose reins! She said once she figured her out she actually has a soft mouth and she is smooth. Yesterday they added a little barrel work not the pattern or anything like that just simply making turns and bending around the barrels. She says her right is better than her left which is funny because she always fought with the other trainer going to the right. I go to see her either tomorrow or Saturday I'll get videos.