1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured I've Got It Made training thread

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, Mar 26, 2017.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

My 5 year old TB mare has been in training for 5 weeks now. Doing good once we figured out that heat cycles are definitely not her friend at all . She is starting to really work on balance at the canter still working on relaxing and realizing that she needs to go slow before she can go fast. She needed work on keeping her shoulder in and getting her legs under herself. She still has a while to go yet til I can start getting my lessons on her and she still comes into the session tense especially to the right (her bad direction) but by the end is going good and relaxing. She is struggling with weight/muscle so I changed up her feed program and will see where we go from there.

Its taking a lot for me to sit back and chill and let things go at this slow of a pace. I'm use to a previous trainer who had another horse of mine (also green at the time) on the pattern in less than 30 days. its tough sitting back and watching the slow progress with Ivy but I keep reminding myself every horse is different and the other horse didn't work out because she didn't enjoy slow work she just wanted to go go go and I think a big part of that is because that trainer went through her training too quick and she never really learned how go slow how to collect and use her body. she just learned where to put herself on the pattern if that makes sense. I think once things are done I'll be a lot happier with Ivy and she will be more enjoyable than Libby was.
    20170325_083601.jpg

2. BipolarHonor

3. BipolarHonor

Sorry for all the dust in the video the arena is dirt and wood chips and they don't water it when I get time I plan to water it but I haven't found time yet.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

She's still really really fussy in the mouth and really short moving behind. :(

I get that she's better than she was with you, but given this is a training thread - that rider seems far more interested in "shutting her down & getting her head down" than anything else.

ginster, manesntails, zomer and 2 others like this.
  5. BipolarHonor

Thanks for your input! This was after she had calmed down but still wasn't totally calm. She does get a super short choppy trot she doesn't go the way im use to seeing idk if it's just her or if its because she wont just relax. She wont even just walk right now under saddle. And when it comes to watching and telling if they are using their body correctly and pushing from behind I suck at it so I posted the video to see what you guys think of how she is going. Ivy was never really bad for me Baby Bell was but I wanted to give them both a good couple solid months with a trainer and see where we get.

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

There is always a reason for a short choppy stride. Be it pain, or something else - it is not normal and not correct.

If the trainer can't get her to walk and is "happy" with this work.......then I would seek out someone else. This horse is not working from behind - nowhere close. She's being ridden front to back.

7. BipolarHonor

Does it look like something that chiropractic work might help especially considering the hunter bump and another bump at the front of her hip? Ill get a pic. I do plan to send her eventually to the trainer CircleC is using for JR if she has an opening. Would I be better off sending her sooner rather than later?

8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^I'd have her checked out first....see if there are any physical issues. She does look short strided and there is no rhythm in her legs at the trot. She looks "bunched up" and tentative, as opposed to moving more freely....like long trotting and being able to stretch out a little.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I am not real fond of how she is moving either. I def wouldn't put a nervous horse that wont walk under saddle on the pattern.

Honestly, IMO, better to get her really broke before sending to a barrel trainer. That way the trainer can get right to the actual pattern and you will usually see a lot more progress, quicker.

Peanut Palomino and manesntails like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

The longer she is allowed to go around in this fashion, the stronger the wrong muscles get & the more the wrong is ingrained in her brain.

At this very moment in time - forget about any patterns, she needs to learn to relax first.

manesntails, GONE ROPING and Circle C like this.