It’s Child’s Play.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

1) that's why I mentioned it ;)
    2) you honestly got him at the perfect time. He can have the time & ground work needed to help his back be "the best" it can be.

kodemiester, heartland, Arem and 2 others like this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Been doing belly lifts, carrot stretches, backing up....Light bulb moment! Did the put the rope around his bum and get him to turn away from you, he really didn’t like it...probably because of the bend, not the exercise itself...noteto self, try that again and watch closely

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

ginster and mooselady like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

When you are ready, You could look into the sph pads because of the total wither relief. I don’t know if they won’t be curvy enough? But something like that, with some sort of wither cutout, might be helpful.
    Products

On the bright side, saddle roll won’t be a problem. :rofl:

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well my mounting issues are greatly diminished with him, the saddle isn’t going anywhere, so I can cut that one out, and just concentrate on good form....the fitter I get, the better that will be, and he will soon learn to stand still.

Lots of good choices for padding, but first to find the best fit we can, then we can find the pad to tweak any minor issues....

Arem likes this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

The tail stretches mentioned would be good too. Also getting him to tuck his bum. Belly lifts are great, but be sure they include the wither - not everyone does, that’s why I mention it. :)

7. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Have you thought about custom? At least in the US there are western saddle makers with a wide variety of trees that take more into account than just gullet and bar angle.

My custom that was built on a Steele AW tree cost me new under $1400.

ginster likes this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well I am resigned that it might be the way to go. Next month is the Equine Expo might take a run up there with some wither tracings and some pics, see what is available.

Rhythm 'n Blues and DelP like this.
  9. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I might not try to invest in anything, especially custom, until you see if his back improves with correct work. I support your enthusiasm to find him a better fit, but you might be dishing out a lot of money just to end up needing something else.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It’s a difficult balance for sure, certainly will not consider custom until we are both fitter, and we are sure that he is going to be happy as a Western Dressage horse. As to when to buy something else..that will be harder, unless he is comfortable can’t develop properly, until he is developed properly can’t fit him comfortably.