It’s Child’s Play.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Jan 12, 2019.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He has already shown me the green and grey look....I’m sure he is waiting for show day to give me the full glory.

2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Spring is coming... just you wait.

mooselady likes this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

You might want to try a gaited flex type saddle. My friend has one for her shark fin wither, with short curvy back, TW mare.

mooselady likes this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

My concern with a flex tree is the rider weight limits, I’m not sure if it’s still the case, I know it was the case.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

That back needs some help. I watched the video, it doesn’t look overly healthy. Lots of lifting and stretches to get that spine moving will definitely help as well as REALLY well fitting saddle.

No flex trees. Please just don’t go there. You’ll want something made for a high wither and a curvy back, as he has both. Not sure you’ll find a used western saddle to fit that back - at least not with any rush!

tlwidener and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  6. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I went into it, eyes open......knew there would be a challenge

~tiffy~ and Winchester like this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Nope, not expecting to, it’s going to be a challenge for sure. Any suggestions where to look for such a unicorn? I’m guessing a decent saddle Pad will also be key. Still using my Coopers Ridge, Western Saddle Pads | Product Categories | Coopersridge with the front shims in, which does keep his withers clear.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If you have a proper fitting saddle you won't need any "special" pad, but a very pad with a HUGE shape to it (likely MORE shape than the photos in the above link) will be needed. Be careful with shims - top wither clearance is important, but NOT at the sake of side wither clearance. That back looks like one that's had saddles way way too narrow on it in order to achieve top wither clearance.

The best thing you can do at this point, is limited saddle work till you have something that truly fits, lots of lunge work and body work, and REALLY get that horse to learn to lift in the wither & the back. Start in cross ties, and just get that darn back moving. Even when he's spooking the back is solid and does not move at all.......it should be moving more. Once you get it moving, then the muscles will start to recover. Fair warning, a direct result of this will be his gaits will feel bigger if done correctly & with diligence.........

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well that will be err interesting, he is already big.....saddle work is limited for both our sakes, so lots of building up it is....