It’s Child’s Play.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Jan 12, 2019.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Following a couple of weeks of discussions, and a week of health scares for my DIL and then myself, I decided life is to short to make do, compromise, and most importantly I don’t want silly risks.

We had already decided that my mare Stella would be listed, she’s a nice mare, but could never get rid of the thought that she was just too small, and more ‘horse’ than I wanted to deal with. My coach, out of the blue, said “how do you feel about Chuck?” Well Chuck is a horse I have liked since he came in as a jumper 4 years ago, but never thought I would ride. We lined him up for my first ride back, after my knee replacement, but then came the “well if you like him, you could buy him”

Today was the day I got to ride him, started off poorly, trying to get him ready and kept zapping him with static! We got past that, and off we went, Now Chuck is a 16,3 hh TB, bit bigger than I have ridden for a while, he is built more like a warmblood than a TB. He is big, his stride is big, his trot is ENORMOUS, canter is rocking horse. He is hard to ride, you ask for a walk, he walks, if you keep asking, as I had to on Fergie, then he trots....we need to work on my communication. Fortunately he comes back to you just as easy as he goes forward. He has his lateral work, he was schooling second before he was bought as a jumper.

Coach took him as part of a trade, and her 8 year old daughter has been riding him, showed him walk trot Dressage last year, but now she wants to jump, and Chuck is too strong for her, he takes control in the jumper ring. We know his history, know he has no vices, just a big friendly gelding. It’s time to take on safe and talented, might be my last chance to own a good horse.

So here we go setting out on a new adventure, now, does anyone want to buy a kidney, part of a liver....Stella’s sale will still leave me short!

More pics to come soon, but here are the first

4F08F94A-6AAB-4A6C-93BE-07F9573B7C30.jpeg 12AAE0DE-BA9F-4693-BE1F-DAF466C79376.jpeg

2. heartland

heartland Senior Member

He is super handsome!

mooselady likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Congratulations-!!

mooselady likes this.
  4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Good on you! Life’s too short for us older but wiser ones. Only thing - he is gray, lol. Good luck with that!

Also, I was not aware you had a health problem, hope all turned out well.

mooselady likes this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Like with Stella I would not have guessed tb for this guy!
    he looks like a good, honest guy. Do you know how old he is?

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Congratulations. I really hope he is a good match for you.

mooselady likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Just turned 13, 13 days ago! Not registered, because he was AI.

Turns out he was bred by the father of the lady who bought my best Haflinger colt....small world, well certainly is up here.

ginster likes this.
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

So excited to follow this journey!!!

mooselady likes this.
  9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

This looks like a good fit for you. Robust, level headed and with reasonable basic training. I hope you will have a lot of fun with him!

mooselady likes this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

There were two deal sealers...well more than that, after the shock of the first trot transition, I was smiling this huge goofy smile, that made it to my face and stayed there. Posting is hilarious, not up, down, up down, more like uuuuuuuuup and then dooooooooown. Sitting it is going to be fun!

No the two things....there had been a jump lesson before me in the arena, and not a lot of space to get on the outside track.Coach wanted me to ride all over the arena, so went past a line of jumps, got to close to the last wing, hooked it with my foot, and wing and poles crashed to the floor...didn’t miss a step.

Second was when I went to get off, found I could not throw right leg over the back of the saddle...had to get to the big block, slide to one side to get left leg on block, then get righty over his back in stages....and he stood like a lamb. Definitely need some excersises to strengthen that movement.

foxtrot, Bebe, kodemiester and 6 others like this.