ISO Western Bit

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by palogal, Jan 19, 2019.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I like the mechanics of it. I like the curved short shank for kiddos green hands and the soft mouthpiece. I also like that all the pieces move independently. I think it’s a weird name for a bit, but whatever.

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I'm not a cowhorse bit fan, but i found it funny the other day on FB a cowhorse trainer said he'd never used one nor ever met a cowhorse trainer who used one. :rofl:

GotaDunQH, JStorry and Cynical25 like this.
  3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Not meaning to hijack but I looked into the cowhorse. Mixed reviews. What about it don't you like? I initially turned it down to it being, essentially, a gag bit.

endurgirl likes this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

They don't have enough feel for me. Once you use a good bit, you won't need that "cowhorse" bit. Lol!!!

5. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I really looked into it. It may not have a lot of gag action, but any mouthpiece that slides along the ring and applies pressure to the corners of the mouth will cue the horse to raise his head. Add on the shanks that apply poll pressure and that tells the horse to lower his head. What a confusing mess. I read reviews where people claim their horses ride quietly in them. Well no wonder, if he resists and you take up contact, he gets a mixed review of cues. Horse goes along quietly to avoid that.

Not a fan.

endurgirl likes this.
  6. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

D6890D1B-E93C-4EFD-A2A7-546D398B8214.jpeg

I have this for sale!

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

The short curved shanks minimize the leverage and since she doesn’t ride on contact anyway, which I have to keep reminding myself, it seems like a good bit for the novice. It has a dog bone mouth as well.

8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I don't like mixing shanks of any length with a snaffle mouthpiece. IMHO, the two should never be used together. I like this bit...it's my go to bit for a prospect or a seasoned western horse.
    Bit.jpg

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Totally get that for you. She's a novice. I can see how a broken mouth shanked bit is kind of like playing the piano with mittens, but for a novice, I think that's ok.