Is This Saddle Junk?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by RebeccaMI, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It may not be top of the line, but looks in excellent condition from the full photo. Seems kind of pricy though.

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

You can not buy a saddle unseen und untried because it has to fit both, the horse and the rider.

Even if it's an ok quality saddle, it's most likely a waste of money because the chance that it is going to fit both, horse and rider is seriously low.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well yes you can, because some people don’t have a lot of options. There are large areas where English saddles are like hens teeth, and fitters are unicorns!

Some of us spend a bunch of time buying and selling saddles to get the right one, not through choice, but lack of options. Not ideal, but you do the best you can, with what you have.

ginster, Sam C., Alsosusieq2 and 2 others like this.
  4. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

Fortunately, the seller of this saddle is local so my friend has the option of having the seller meet us at the barn so she can try the saddle on my mare, try riding in it, etc. Otherwise, yes, a lot of buying and trying and returning or reselling would be the other option.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

My suggestion is that you do a wither tracing and proper photos of the horses back and then send it out to some of well respected saddle fitters/used saddle consignment shops like Trimble mountain, hastilow premium used saddles, Olsen’s tack, etc and ask them what they have in the price range that might fit. It cost about 100-200 to ship a saddle insured so it’s important to go with a reputable business.

6. PintoArab

PintoArab Senior Member

Did some googling - these appear to be a "house brand" saddle like the SLT line that state line tack had(still has maybe? Idk I don't shop there) and the tack shop that sells them has used ones listed for $400. If I were you I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a used one from a private seller in that case.

[​IMG]

RebeccaMI likes this.
  7. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

We did that back in February/March with Trumbull, but at that time they didn't have anything that was within her budget. I can't remember if we had told them $300-500 (her previous budget) or $500+ (her new budget with graduation gifts included). I suppose I could/should check with Jay again.

hamerface likes this.