Is This Saddle Junk?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by RebeccaMI, Jun 12, 2018.

1. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

My 17yo friend who half-leases my mare to ride for fun wants an english saddle. She got some money for graduation so now she has the kind of budget where she could get a quality used saddle. She found one on the Facebook Marketplace but I can't tell if the brand is Avant Garde or Classic Saddlery. There's a plate under the flap that says Avant Garde Quality Saddlery but the nail heads say Classic Saddlery. Either way it looks to be a "Supreme All Purpose." I've never heard of Avant Garde saddles before, and the only Classic Saddlery brand I'm familiar with is the "store brand" at Classic Saddlery in Galesburg, MI. My gut says this is probably a no-name crap saddle, but I could be wrong. Does anyone here know?

[​IMG]

2. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Do you have pics of the whole saddle?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Doesn't look promising from the pictures.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

Let's see if this link works...
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that's what my gut is telling me too. What do you think from the above? The seller wants $750 for it so either it's WAY overpriced or it's actually decent.

5. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

The only info I can find on these is from 2013-2014 and prices at that time for used were between $250-$500. Looks like they are from Classic Saddlery in MI.

manesntails likes this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Nope. Pass get an old stubben

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  7. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

If it fits the horse it may be decent, because the stirrups are hung properly. It's not Asian at least. When I first started out English I had an old Stubben, I was ready to give up English. Every other student of that coach wanted to buy that saddle, so I sold it and got a used "I don't know-the-brand", suited me better. As long as it fits the horse and you don't mind riding in it, it's a good saddle. I will add though, my much more expensive Collegiate Senior is more my style.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

There isn't really anything wrong with it provided it isn't twisted, or broken and is in good shape (which it appears to be, immaculate actually) It looks decently made, and I have no qualms with it IF IT FITS THE HORSE.

Getting an old stubben only works if they fit the horse too...

9. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

If it fits the horse AND isn't broken or damaged AND isn't crap leather made in Asia or Venezuela AND fits the rider... ALL those conditions must be met. (y) Otherwise it's not going on any horse of mine.

10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Can you visit Classic Saddlery? I think they are in Galesburg?