Is this beach trip worth the money?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mmonte24, Nov 7, 2018.

1. mmonte24

mmonte24 Registered

My trainer/barn owner takes a few girls to the beach with her horses a few times each month in the fall. There are only a few dates left, and they fill up fast. One of them is this weekend at it’s early in the morning so we can see the sunrise . I really want to do a beach trip BADLY, but it costs $250. I do have $250, but it’s been in my savings jar that I wasn’t going to dip into unless it was for horse shows. However, this is probably the only time I’ll get to do this because next year I’m off to college to a dry state, so there aren’t any beaches.
    Anyways, is the beach day worth the money? The money is for shipping costs (gas, etc). Or should I save the money for horse shows in the spring? (Of course, I’m going to save up some more money too).
    Thanks!!

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You're the only person who can decide that. It wouldn't be worth it to me but that's me. Figure out your priorities - if this is something you really value and want to do, then it may be worth it to you.

It's a good exercise for all the decisions you'll have to make.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  3. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

At your age I probably would have spent it for the experience and because I had a good job and not many expenses luckily. But Bellalou is right, you’re the only one who can make the decision and likely either way you’ll be let down a little.

You’ll obviously feel left out if you choose not to go but you may also feel let down in the spring if your showing is more limited than orginally planned. So it depends on which you think you’ll feel more about.

Arem likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You only live once~!!
    Go~!!

Bebe, Blue-Roan, SparkleDust and 3 others like this.
  5. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

My opinion, as someone who got her horse young and spent a lot of unnecessary money when I could have saved it instead - save the money.

250$ for a beach ride is insane to me. It cost me 250$ to have my mare hauled 4 hours away for winter boarding. I really don't think this will be the only time you can do it, you have the rest of your life, and maybe waiting a bit won't be the worst thing.

Obviously it's 100% your call but I personally wouldn't. Stay strong and keep that money for shows, or something bigger than a one time beach ride when you can probably get that at another point in life when you have your own trailer or a close friend with a trailer that y'all can split the costs for a more reasonable price.

6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I say go!!! You don't want to look back and regret it. With college coming up, you'll be too busy with classes and studying and tests, horses will slack off, so you might as well have a last bit of fun before you go!!!

Bebe, SparkleDust, Arem and 1 other person like this.
  7. billz

billz Full Member

Carpe Diem!

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow does not yet belong to us...

At this point in your life, you should live it to the fullest. Go, capture this moment, savor it forever.

8. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

250 seems really high just for shipping, unless y’all are spending the night somewhere, but if it’s just for a day, and other people are going and splitting the cost, that seems high. That said, I’d probably do it. I’ve always wanted to take my horse to the beach. I’ve ridden on the beaches in Jamaica but it’s not the same as riding your own horse!

Arem, Puddincup and manesntails like this.
  9. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Take it from someone old who works in hospice- do it! Sometimes you don't get a second chance. Material things are nice and all, but when you look back at your life, you won't remember the $5 lattes; you WILL remember the experiences that made you take a chance and do something different.

Arem, Bebe, SparkleDust and 3 others like this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

They are, but they are fleeting, as we found when our house was robbed. After that I vowed that money would go on experiences rather than things....tack does NOT count as things:D

We are only here once, do the things, do not be sat in the hospice going “If only”