Is there a topical anti-itch horse cream?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by secuono, May 5, 2017.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'd look for metal either sticking up or out somewhere. He could've put his head down to graze and sheared his chin on a hunk of metal sticking out of the ground, reached over a fence, or up along a metal roof. Whatever he did, he did it quick to cut it that far without stopping himself.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

It's important to go around where the horses go with a metal detector every once in a while. Stuff is constantly emerging from the ground and creating a hazard. Stuff is buried in the ground and constantly coming up. And many people have farm implements, on metal stakes and all sorts of other hardware above the surface in their pastures.

Paddocks especially can have a lot of hazards. Horses can often reach over low fences and get into hazards.

ginster, Cynical25 and manesntails like this.
  3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Horses make you crazy. I had a mare essentially tear an eyelid off in her stall. The vet and I went over the entire stall with our hands to find what she did it on, and were unable to find anything that seemed a likely culprit. I hope your boy heals well.

4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

He seems to be the type of horse that is seeking out ways to hurt himself. Two emergency vet calls, two lovely slip n slide demonstrations and three superficial nicks that heal faster than it takes to call someone out. One of which involved a smooth barn wall that he clearly forgot was there for a moment.

Glass bottles I find regularly, just tons of it actually. I could go out after every heavy rainfall and find at least one new shard of the glass bottles. But occasionally halters, old ax heads, cattle tags, bolts w/nut & washer on them, nails or rather parts of them, twine of all kinds, unidentified items, a lead rope and other random things I find. Rocks come up like zombies in a graveyard scene in old movies! All at the top of the hill where I could possibly sit and watch erode away if I wanted to waste a year of time on it, but it does change a lot in a year's time. Haven't found anything valuable yet though. =/
    Because of that and my chewy dogs, I'm always keeping an eye on the ground as I'm walking around or working sheep. There's always something to pick up.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

You could consider going over the pasture with a metal detector each year...I do that in summer or late spring. If a horse loses a shoe, I work very hard to find it as shoes can cause some serious injuries if stepped on the right way.

6. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Friday vet removed stitches & was pleasantly surprised that it was healing as well as it was. I guess she had little hope the flap would live. He now gets a topical cream to help it finish healing.
    Pic from today.
    2017-05-14 13.30.07.jpg

Kappa and endurgirl like this.
  7. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

If there's a way to hurt itself, a horse will always find it. YIKES that looked nasty! But it seems to be healing super well and I'm glad you got something from your vet to apply to it now.

8. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Quick wound pic update.
    He's developed a hard lump in the area, too early to be teeth and way too suspicious of location. He couldn't care less, but vet will be called to see if it could be something unwanted.
    Screenshot_2017-05-25-20-39-48.png 20170525_194607-1.jpg

9. slc

slc Senior Member

That is the type of horse all horses are.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

"Too early to be teeth"?