Is riding a pregnant mare okay?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by aqhaktberry3, Mar 16, 2017.

?

Is it ok to ride a mare at 6 months pregnant?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I would like everyone opinion on breeding a mare and then continuing to ride her. We have a very nice show mare that we would like to breed but also want to show her in November in walk/trot events. Thoughts on this? If we bred for an April baby could that work? Shes healthy and currently being shown.

2. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

It's good to keep them in shape. The further she gets, you may want to take it easier of course. But if they're used to being ridden, it's fine to keep riding them as usual.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

A mare in light use and good muscle tone will theoretically have a better chance of foaling easily than a mare that has been left to just sit, get soft, and 'be pregnant' the whole time.
    In college we rode mares that were within a month of foaling, not competitively but enough to keep them active, other than just stand and eating.
    In short Id say imo the 1st & last 2 month of the pregnancy are the most 'delicate', but thats my personal opinion, with some spectative backing; Im not a breeder.

Alsosusieq2 and aqhaktberry3 like this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Light riding can be good exercise, but I do not show my pregnant mares. I spend a lot of money to get them pregnant and I want them to stay that way. The problem is the exposure to disease and the stress of travel.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What do you mean by "showing" is the question. Keeping her fit without overstepping her is good for her health. Riding her in heavy competition in multiple entries all weekend, No.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

At 6 months she may or may not be starting to get to be large depending on how she is carrying. You can ride them to some point, but eventually she will be so large bending and moving is definately harder. At some point they don't want to play with you any more. It depends on the mare when.

I personally, don't mind light riding at home. I won't show them to risk the foal.

Shipping her to shows also risks her being exposed to diseases. Even vaccinated I am VERY cautious against disease.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Why don't you just BUY a foal and keep the mare for riding and showing? It's not a dog you need babies from so you have a memento of her. Horses live way longer than dogs and there's foals just as nice as, if not nicer than your mare that need owners already.

8. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Senior Member

A horses pregnancy is 11 months 11 days +/- I had a discussion with a long time breeder and trainer, he said they would ride the mare till she dropped the foal. Then rode her a couple days after again. He said there was never a miscarriage due to riding and both mare and foal where fine.
    Personally month 1-4 I would ride pretty much like usually, lay off any breakneck speed barrel runs where your horse is pretty much laying on the ground and I wouldn't jump. Month 5-7 I take it a little easier, walking, trotting and cavaletti. I would only longe a mare after month 8 of her pregnancy, then just take her for in hand walks a couple weeks before. After she foals I would probably start some work her and baby can do together and she will come back into shape for your training and showing much much quicker if you keep her fit and healthy. Have fun ;)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I don't think it harms a mare one bit. I wouldn't do anything extreme, but keep her fit. Towards the last just take it easy completely.

10. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

I rode my endurance mare until 30 days from foaling (obviously not competitively ;) ). Gave her 3 weeks off then was riding her around the pasture and progressively ponying the foal out before too long. She never lost condition and was able to go back to endurance easily after weaning foal