Is pvc pipe safe for horse jumps?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Victoria24dapple, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Idk to be honest, doubt they're better. I grabbed some earlier photos, they look good in the photos.. Imagine that.

5cb7482b0cddef0f68f61afd836217f7.jpg

f7a62cc5d30106a083a8ab1c010b0400.jpg

5d0372cd0be785aed93c46784f92b914.jpg

Attached Files:

Victoria24dapple likes this.
  2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

there are many different grades of plastic pipe available, and some will shatter into very sharp shards especially if exposed to UV or winter cold so best to stick with wood unless you order professional poles from a jump supplier. I also use the landscape ties, they work fine. Pallets again come in many grades - I have some that are oak and indestructible, some are garbage wood and light nails so a vet bill waiting to happen.
    landscape ties and the potty training seats for kids from IKEA make fast, cheap cavelleti - would be a good starting point Potty Training by IKEA Equestrian aka Raised Poles training

3. Alsosusieq2

Didn't know there were grades, probably makes sense considering shipping. The ones I saw were sturdy, but we're carrying heavy material.

4. sherian

sherian Senior Member

yep I have a stack of them to put under the hay bales - you pick up a few light duty ones and toss them around then you hit a heavey grade one,and just about herniate your self

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Get Landscape Timbers. They are rounded on two sides, but flat on two sides, so they will stay on a flat surface, like an upright cinder block, laid on it's side, or standing on end. They are also very cheap.

I found out what can happen if you get cut by PVC pipe. It contains arsenic. I got arsenic poisoning from getting cut on the leg from it. Don't mess with that.

spec likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:eek::eek: Say WHAT???? that is really scary

7. manesntails

Yeah. I had to go to the hospital. Three days of my life that I hardly remember~!!

Oh wait, it was Cyanide, not arsenic~!!
    It was 38yrs ago.

mooselady likes this.
  8. Victoria24dapple

Victoria24dapple Full Member

Omg I didn’t know that that’s scary

9. manesntails

Yes. What happened was there was a downspout on the front of the barn that was mashed, the summer before which they replaced with pvc pipe.

I was walking towards the barn when a horse kicked it. A piece came flying into my shin, at a 45%, or so, angle. It took a chunk of flesh the size of a man's thumb off the front of my shin and there were some smaller pieces I removed with tweezers. I think, when it hit my bone, it shattered further.

I bandaged it and kept working. A few hours later I got extremely tired, disoriented, and started getting a headache. They took me to the hospital emergency room. After cleaning the wound and finding tiny little dusty particles of pvc in the wound, they diagnosed me with Cyanide poisoning.

They said some must have travelled into my bloodstream and the cyanide traces, along with it. So, three days in the hospital, barely could stay awake. They said had I not come to the hospital, I could have lapsed into a coma and possibly died.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

I remember that. Freaked me out..